can you eat cloning crayfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samanthawilson4

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to raise crawfish for food for my family. Can you eat the self cloing ones If not what breed am I needing.

I don't see why not. But don't take my word, I know as much as you on this situation

I was thinking so too because they are the same makeup as the ones you buy in the store. Just they maker them selves pregnant lol. Not like the meat changes or anything it is all the same. They just breed differently.

Once you put them in an aquarium with water conditioners and feed them processed "fish food" they are no longer considered safe for human consumption.

Self cloning cray fish would not be worth the trouble trying to raise as food.

I would look into the following species: Orconectes rusticus, Pacifastacus leniusculus, Procambarus clarkii. Keep in mind local and state laws may prohibit the retention of cray fish that aren't gathered for food with a valid license.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't plan to use any chemicals or what not in the water. and I have organic stuff to feed them lol. I wont' be using fish food for them. I guess I will see how it goes when I get them in the mail

Well hopefully there's not chlorine, chloramines or heavy metals in your water. What size tank are you attempting this in? A pond setting would be best for something like this. I also honestly don't think the those crays will get big enough for it to be worth the trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom