Can you have plants in a sand substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wade

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am very new to aquariums and I need lots of advice. I have a sand substrate and would like to add a few plants. Is this possible? and if so can any recommend low maintenance plants. I just set the tank up and have not yet added any fish.
I have also been told that if I have plants I can not have an airstone. Is this correct?

Thanks for all your help guys.

Wade

Sand is actually superior to gravel for planting. The plants anchor much better in sand.

Low maintenance plants - Anubias, java fern, java moss, crypts, and bolbitis. Crypts need root tabs but other than that they are all easy plants.

Airstone - you can have one with plants.. but tanks dont really need them. They are more of a decorative piece.

Sand is actually superior to gravel for planting. The plants anchor much better in sand.

Low maintenance plants - Anubias, java fern, java moss, crypts, and bolbitis. Crypts need root tabs but other than that they are all easy plants.

Airstone - you can have one with plants.. but tanks dont really need them. They are more of a decorative piece.

Agreed across the board!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What are ROOTTABS and where can I find them and how are they used? Is there a video to demonstrate?

Back
Top Bottom