can you help me identify?? Ich, Velvet, Fungus?? Pics inside

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marvelouzone

Aquarium Advice Newbie
100 gallon tank 5 months old 25% water changes weekly religiously 2x 3" oscars, 2x 3" sun cats, 2x 4.5 inch channel cats, 2x 3" tiger shovel nose cats 2x 3.5" bala sharks. 1 firemouth cichlid

Facts:
1.) I know its coming, yes I know the tiger/shovel nose, sun cats, channel cats will grow very rapidly, and will soon need a super huge tank.. I'm in the process of building 2 16' x 5' x5' tanks in a the basement of my home

2:) filters fluval 406 and marineland c360
3:)parameters temp is 76 degrees, amonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20 - 40 ppm on api fresh water master kit ph holds steady between 6.8 -7
4:) I normally use prime during water changes. I Dose to treat whole tank
5:) did not do fishless cycle, tank as started with 3x bala(lost 1 a few months back) and 2 sun cats, added 2 tiger shovels at 2 months, 2 channel cats 11 weeks, 2 oscars at 16 weeks.
6:) tanks was fully cycled between week 9 and 10 according to water test.

noticed white spots on tiger & albino oscar last night, and has quicly spread on the tiger this morning, all fish are showing same signs, with the exception of the shovel nose and sun cats, might have 1 or 2 tiny spots, not sure though. Started raising temp last night, gradually to 80 and now moving toward 84.

I'm an not sure if this is ick, fungus, or velvet. Cant get a good picture of the tiger oscar, but he has it the worst, colors look really dull.. Help me please!

Attachments

• 2013-07-25 10.14.58.jpg
    2013-07-25 10.14.58.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 106
  • 2013-07-25 10.38.09.jpg
    2013-07-25 10.38.09.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 2013-07-25 10.25.18.jpg
    2013-07-25 10.25.18.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 2013-07-25 10.24.11.jpg
    2013-07-25 10.24.11.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 88
Welcome to AA!!! It does not look like ich. Ich looks like fine sand dusted all over a fish, most obvious on the fins and tail. They may have ich in addition to other issues but its not apparent in the pics. Let us know if this may be an issue as well.

Fungus is an opportunistic disease and typically is secondary to an already present bacterial infection and/or poor water quality. It appears as fine patches of hair-like threads. By your description of the white patches appearing and spreading rapidly overnight indicates you have a serious bacterial infection. Increasing the temp will cause it to spread more quickly and be more destructive.

As you have scaleless fish, increasing the salinity is not an option here but I would suggest treating with a gram negative antibiotic such as kanamycin and daily big water changes. Kanamycin can be combined with a nitrofuran antibiotic (such as Furan2) for a more broad spectrum treatment. Expect to treat for atleast 7-10 days, possibly longer. Daily baths of methylene blue can also be used but I don't believe most of these guys will be very tolerant of daily handling and it may only further stress them. Please ask any questions!

As you have scaleless fish, increasing the salinity is not an option here but I would suggest treating with a gram negative antibiotic such as kanamycin and daily big water changes. Kanamycin can be combined with a nitrofuran antibiotic (such as Furan2) for a more broad spectrum treatment. Expect to treat for atleast 7-10 days, possibly longer. Daily baths of methylene blue can also be used but I don't believe most of these guys will be very tolerant of daily handling and it may only further stress them. Please ask any questions!

where would I find these medicines? LFS?

Are you in the US or another country? In the US, a quality lfs may carry kanamycin (typically sold as Seachem's Kanaplex) while a chain store such as petsmart should carry Furan2. Your other option is to order online and have it shipped overnight. National Fish Pharmaceuticals will carry both kanamycin and nitrofuran antibiotics in amounts necessary to treat a tank this size.

Are you in the US or another country? In the US, a quality lfs may carry kanamycin (typically sold as Seachem's Kanaplex) while a chain store such as petsmart should carry Furan2. Your other option is to order online and have it shipped overnight. National Fish Pharmaceuticals will carry both kanamycin and nitrofuran antibiotics in amounts necessary to treat a tank this size.

I am in the US and petsmart is close.. will furan2 kill my beneficial bacteria in my filters?

Furan by itself likely wont be sufficient here- kanamycin is the main med with the furan just increasing its spectrum of treatment. If you want to treat with what petsmart carries, opt for a combo of Maracyn and Maracyn2. However, the cost of purchasing enough to treat this size tank daily for 7-10 days will be outrageous and I honestly think purchasing meds online will be much less expensive.

Yes, its very likely your biofilter will take a decent hit as antibiotics do not discriminate between 'good' and 'bad' bacteria. Unfortunately, you really do not have another option here or you risk your tank being wiped out. In the future, I strongly recommend quarantining any new fish for a atleast couple of weeks to prevent disease from being introduced into your main tank.

thanks so, should I buy enough to get started for the next few days, and then order online.. I would like to start treating as soon as possible, to prevent any deaths..

Ok, if your going to order online and want to just get started with something, start with the Furan2 and order the kanamycin. NFP site has the best prices for quantities necessary to treat your size tank. Order it today- do not wait as the furan will not be sufficient by itself. Dose daily with a big (50+%) wc before redosing to your tank size.

Ok, if your going to order online and want to just get started with something, start with the Furan2 and order the kanamycin. NFP site has the best prices for quantities necessary to treat your size tank. Order it today- do not wait as the furan will not be sufficient by itself. Dose daily with a big (50+%) wc before redosing to your tank size.
thanks a million will post back progress

ok so this morning b4 I made the post, I did about a 60% water change, left the tank temp up. After work I stopped and got meds recommended from pets mart to get started, but now as I have gotten home I've noticed that the oscars have cleared up 95% and are back to being normally active. all other fish look 95% clear also. still seeing some fish looking like a few "grains of salt" in fins but not noticing anything on the body's. SO should I still be thing bacterial infection??

I forgot to add water is cloudy now, and readings are 1ppm/.5/10 dont know where the spike is coming from

Back
Top Bottom