can you use ANY salt with snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angelboyblue3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have some mystery snails, glass shrimp and tetra, in an 8 gla tank. I usually use salt as a preventative measure. can you use Any salt at all, if so how much.

Additionally I would like to use coppersafe by mardel. Is there any problem with it on glass shrimp and mystery snail. As the directions are a bit vauge.

Thanks

personally, I wouldnt use any salt with fw inverts. Also why are you wanting to use coppersafe? do you have ich? I'm fairly sure that copper will harm inverts as well...

I know for sure that copper will kill shrimp..........they are sensitive to any metals.

FWIW, I have been adding 2TBSP of salt on the recommendation of a friend for keeping my swordtails. I have 2 ivory mystery snails and they are thriving. One has nearly doubled in size in about 2 weeks. In other tank, I have an outbreak of wild snails that came from some plants. That tank also has the same level of salt, and I used coppersafe, and the little buggers did not die. I was hoping for a 2 for one deal, but no dice. I'll have to pick them out.

Confusion - what size are the tanks ? Is the 2 TBSP for the entire tank or per gallong / per 10 gallons etc ?

Why do you feel the need to constantly treat non-existant ailments with salt? Tetra don't like/need salt. Snails don't like it either. Many shrimp won't tolerate much.

If you clean the tank weekly, keep a stable temp, it should be a healthy tank, and all you're dong with the salt is throwing a little money down the drain.

Salt is only good for ich and nitrite poisoning. If the tank is cycled, the latter isn't an issue, and unless you already have ich, the former is also not an issue.

I've just never understood the school of thinking that some people use when deciding that all FW aquariums need salt.

I have a couple of tetra that have ick. I have taken out the mystery snail they seemed sluggish,but not the shrimp yet. The snails are now to my amazement mating like crazy, go figure. There is copper safe and 7.6 grams of salt per gallon. Shrimp are fine. Can the tetras take the full dosage of salt for ick. 3 doses of 7.6 grams per gallon?

A lot of people seem to think that salt is a good solution to improve the slime coat of fish which prevents disease and stress. Fortunately, there is other stuff out there that is less toxic to inverts & snails that will do the same thing, like Prime.

Back
Top Bottom