Canister Filter Set Up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tawksin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a Cascade 1000 Canister Filter and was wondering which way I should set it up to get the best results for my 60 gallon tank.

I've heard you're suppose to put the foam basket on the bottom, and I've also heard to use three different sized foams in that basket.

I've also heard putting a type of ceramic media underneath the the sponge basket. Then another type of media in the baskets above the sponges.

And I don't have to use carbon if I don't have to replace it all the time do I?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I didn't see a help section.

I have the same filter for my 55 gal. I use floss in the bottom, purigen in the middle and sponge in the top. Haven't had any problems

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi. The basic loading in a canister is first the water goes through course media, then medium, then fine. Course media can be plastic bio balls, ceramic tubes (I think these are best) or a course foam. The medium media is usually a medium foam and the fine layer filter floss. I top mine off with a sachet of Seachem Purigen, giving crystal clear water. I don't ever use carbon and find it unnecessary. Most canister filter water flow is from the bottom of the canister to the top, that makes sense as the larger waste remains at the bottom of the canister, I don't know if your filter is the opposite way round, the instructions should tell you that.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have the same filter for my 75g

I use from bottom to top:
Tray 1
Coarse foam
Fine foam
Tray 2
Fine foam
Purigen
Tray 3
Tons of biomedia

Caleb