Canister Filter Tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plumwd

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone,

Looking for advice for canister filter maintenance. It's getting to the time that I need to clean my filter for the first time. What kinds of tips do you have to not spill water all over the place? I know that I should clean the media in aquarium water to not kill the bacteria, but I don't want to make a huge mess.

Hello everyone,

Looking for advice for canister filter maintenance. It's getting to the time that I need to clean my filter for the first time. What kinds of tips do you have to not spill water all over the place? I know that I should clean the media in aquarium water to not kill the bacteria, but I don't want to make a huge mess.

Get a new 5 gallon bucket and dedicate it solely to your aquarium. I usually start by placing about 1.5g in it then swishing one portion of the media at a time inside starting with the sponges as they are usually the dirtiest. When it gets nasty, dump it out, add fresh tank water and repeat till your all done. After the media is done I switch to the python for my WC and gravel vac.

First thing I ever do is put-down on the floor a large old, scruffy beach towel. Splashes and drips happen, no mater how careful you are!

Using a 5-gal bucket, I start by pulling the first 4.5 gallons of tank water, and then as described by treemanone2003, I swoosh the filter elements in that water, one part after the other, but I do my big sponges last, BECAUSE they are the dirtiest.

BTW, I have a Fluval 206. Love it! (The Marineland was my second choice; very nice unit though!) It was a tough decision, however, as a product designer, I simply appreciated the design of the components more on the Fluval. That, and the availability of replacement parts (should such things be necessary). FWIW

I finally did the cleaning yesterday. No spilled water, thanks so much for the tips everyone.

My only frustration is that when I first tried to open up the lid, there was a vacuum seal and I couldn't get it off. Marineland really has some crappy instructions in their manual and doesn't clearly explain what you're supposed to do. I found a couple of videos on YouTube that helped a ton.

Back
Top Bottom