Canister or just foam filters??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Aquaforce

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello you all i have noticed my LFS only has foam filters in their tanks so it has made me wonder should i even invest into another canister filter or just put one more foam filter in there?

I have a canister. I have never used foam filters but will follow your thread to learn more.

Mr...

Nothing wrong with sponge filters. is this the type you mean? I use them in all my tanks. The dual type are as good as anything else. They're inexpensive, easy to clean and you never need to buy filter media. The filter doesn't remove the old tank water and replace it with new, so you still have to be a good changer of the tank water. If you remove and replace most of the tank water every few days, just about any filter will do.

B

Mr...

If you're cost consious, like I am, then go with the sponge filters. You will need to invest in an air pump to run them, but this is just a minor expense compared to filters that hang on the back of the tank and canisters that are many times more expensive. Honestly, I don't see that the other, more expensive filters are that much more efficient, provided you change a lot of tank water and do it weekly.

B

Mr...

If you're cost consious, like I am, then go with the sponge filters. You will need to invest in an air pump to run them, but this is just a minor expense compared to filters that hang on the back of the tank and canisters that are many times more expensive. Honestly, I don't see that the other, more expensive filters are that much more efficient, provided you change a lot of tank water and do it weekly.

B
So youre saying sponge filters means less water changes over time vs canister filters?

So youre saying sponge filters means less water changes over time vs canister filters?

No amount of filtration can really replace the need for water changes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Mr...

No. I'm saying, if you change most of the tank water weekly, you don't need expensive, high end filtration. The large, weekly water change is the true filter, not the mechanical gizmo.

If you change a lot of tank water and change it often, a basic inexpensive filter will easily do the job. That's what I'm saying.

B

Mr...

No. I'm saying, if you change most of the tank water weekly, you don't need expensive, high end filtration. The large, weekly water change is the true filter, not the mechanical gizmo.

If you change a lot of tank water and change it often, a basic inexpensive filter will easily do the job. That's what I'm saying.

B
Gotcha gotcha!

Back
Top Bottom