Canopy modification and lighting upgrade!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
So after my old end fittings fizzled (literally) and died, I bought 2, 1x96 watt Bright Kits from ahsupply. I have a Sedona canopy, which only has one cross brace, and no braces running the long way, so I modified the canopy to hold the reflectors and bulbs. I took some pictures of the completed canopy as I thought folks might like to see what I did. Serious thanks go to my wonderful boyfriend for doing all the wiring! :lol:

Finished canopy, from the top. The horizontal slats are the added parts. They were made from some scrap 3/4" x 2.5" lumber I got for $1 a piece at Home Depot. I notched the ends to fit into the lip on the canopy where the glass would usually sit (I don't use the glass anyway) and stained the wood to match as best I could. Also 2 coats of satin varnish for water protection. The metal straps are the kind that people use to repair chairs etc. You can see the reflectors and also the ballasts screwed to the back frame of the canopy. The white strings are my low-tech canopy-hanging apparatus (for water changes and plant maintenance).
P1020814.JPG

Underneath, showing wiring route and one ballast:
P1020810.JPG

Other end underneath:
P1020811.JPG

Close up of one ballast installation:
P1020812.JPG

Top view on tank.....much more access for feeding now!
P1020820.JPG

Rear view with ballasts clearing HOB:
P1020823.JPG

My lousy, corroded old reflector. It was amazing to see how much less light spilled out to the wall behind the tank with the new reflectors on!
P1020818.JPG

Tank with new lights on!
P1020817.JPG

Thanks guys. I'd definitely recommend the AHSupply kits, they really do give you everything you need, and the directions are easy to follow. You do need to have some basic tools, including a wire stripper, but with a little thought about where to route everything, the assembly went very smoothly.

Oh, and yes, I should have put the front bulb and reflector a little further back....oh well.

Back
Top Bottom