can't decide what substrate i should go with for my 75g planted tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philipraposo198

Aquarium Advice Addict
i plan to have it fully planted and aquascaped

i will keep
2 x rams
12 x rmt
6-8 oto cats
24-40 x rcs

what do you guys suggest for substrate?

i don't want to spend 20+ a bag either. cheaper is better.

can i just do pure black blasting sand or does it have to be something more fancy?

To add to my first post, I am scared of using the mgopm because of people having issues with anaerobic conditions. I really don't want to deal with such a thing in my first ever tank.

I don't really mind the idea of sand, my concern with this is simple whether my plants can grow in something with no nutritional value. I obviously could supplement it but isn't that a huge pita?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1 for pool filter sand. It was $10 for 50 lbs and that gave me about 2" in my 55 gallon. Its a light tan color that looks great under the lights. Definitely a larger grain size than play size. Easy to clean too, 5 mins in a bucket w hose.

It doesn't matter what substrate you used is what is in the substrates that will help your planted tank.

I just started my first planted 55g and used black diamond. When I had my hygro in regular gravel the roots just kind of floated around. Within two days of being in the sand they shot right down into it. I also have a sword that put on three new leaves last week. Low tech tank

If you're concerned about nutritional supplements with sand, there are a couple things you can do (either one or both):
1) Bury root tabs every few inches in the substrate, with extras grouped in areas you expect to have heavy root feeders such as swords or lotuses.
2) Add a thin layer of a plant food substrate (eco-complete, layerite, etc) to the tank and then cover it with sand until you're at the depth you'd like.

Regardless what you do, having at least 3" of substrate makes it worlds easier to keep roots buried even after the rams go around excavating ;)

I have decided to use safe t sorb for my substrate

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom