Carbon and PWC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rambo64

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello

I have a 20 gal tank with a bio wheel and bac pac skimmer and I have been hearing that I should use carbon. Is this a good idea with this setup? Also I wanted to know if I should do a PWC since my tank has only been running for less than 2 weeks?

thanks

I don't use carbon on my tanks, but that is me. I think with LR and LS and the skimmer you will have enough filtration! I wouldn't do any PWCs right now you need to let your tank cycle completely! What all do you have in your tank right now? What are you readings? NO3 NO4 PH ect?

I agree that you really dont need the carbon if you have proper filtration. There might be times you do need it so hold on to your filter. It really does not hurt to put some in your tank every so often.

I agree, I don't run carbon unless I need to.

Yeah I do not think I will use any carbon unless I need it. I plan on not doing a PWC for another week.

Personally I use GAC 24/7. It's a good addition to a protein skimmer to keep DOC's down.
Is this a good idea with this setup?
If you plan on keeping soft corals it's a good idea to run GAC at least occasionally. It will help reduce the concentration of noxious chemicals they produce while engaging in chemical warfare. This is a bigger issue when mixing soft coral with LPS or SPS coral. HTH

Back
Top Bottom