Carbon VS No Carbon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QuietPlotter

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm hearing alot of things about the pros and cons of carbon in an aquarium filter. Based on many things being said, I plan not to use carbon in my 10g. Will this hurt my fish, as in, will it change anything as far as water goes? I'm swapping out the filter.

Please post your arguments for carbon here, so I can finally settle on what to do with it.

QP

If you have a planted tank, I would suggest taking it out as it will filter out nutrients from your water that the plants need.

If not, its usually only necessary in taking out any chemicals. (Fish meds...etc)

I don't use it. I don't see the point. If your tank is clean and well maintained why would you need something like carbon. It only lasts a few weeks then you have to chuck it and buy more. As I said, I don't see the point. (except for med removal)

Honestly I dont knwo yet. I just cut my filter pad and took out the carbon, today. I have a Lightly planted tank atm. Im gonning to boost more plants into it here soon. It seems to be the same to me. Cant Really tell after 10 hours tho. :/

The most compelling reason I've heard for not using carbon is that it can leech phosphates into the water (is this true??). That and, as was already mentioned, a healthy filter system should be adequate except for removal of medicines. I've never seen a convincing argument for why someone would want to use carbon otherwise.

I don't bother with it unless I have a filter that has cartridges that cannot be substituted. Honestly, just buy the filter floss and cut my own pads. So much cheaper and just takes a minute.

I haven't seen any difference between using it and not using it. I have never heard of this phosphate thing. It can't be that bad. In like Brita filters, it's carbon that is filtering the water and humans drink it. It can't be bad for our fish then.

I bought a container of it when I first started, so I use it every so often just to get rid of it. haha. I have a problem with just throwing stuff out.

The most compelling reason I've heard for not using carbon is that it can leech phosphates into the water (is this true??).

It is possible, yes. Probable, no. Base material used for conversion to carbon is sometimes 'activated' with phosphoric acid. If you buy quality brands made for aquarium use, I think this very unlikely. Also the amount leeched would be extremely small.

Like most things that go into an aquarium, it is often best practice to use things only when you believe there is a compelling reason to use them. And so it is for carbon.

Back
Top Bottom