Carpet options.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
I would Iike to attempt to get a carpet going in my 55g. I gave dwarf baby tears a go and they just weren't for me, which saddens me because I wanted it so bad :( so now I'm moving on to other options. What would you guys recommend? I'm thinking of either dwarf sag, micro chain sword or Pygmy chain sword. Tank specs: 55g planted (swords and crypts seem to do best in my tank, I have rotala rotundifolia and its doing ok, but not as good as my swords or crypts) with 3 6500k daylight 13w (60w equivalent) cfl's in clip on desk lamps. I don't have co2 but I do dose liquid co2.

Any of the three you listed would work but IMO the dwarf sag will spread the fastest. It's not really considered a carpet plant but you can make it work.

That's a very small amount of light over a 55g. Its common practice to use two of those bulbs on a 10g, so 3 trying to light a 55 is very low light. I doubt you could get anything to carpet at all.

You can get away with the Pygmy chain sword as its the least light demanding. Grew for me and I use only 1 T8 daylight bulb on my 55

I'd also try the dwarf sag. Your other options might survive but they'd grow so slowwwly.

That's a very small amount of light over a 55g. Its common practice to use two of those bulbs on a 10g, so 3 trying to light a 55 is very low light. I doubt you could get anything to carpet at all.

I would have to second this. Dwarf Sag is your best bet but that's not very likely sadly.

IDK... I have a bit of dwarf sag in a fluval edge 6g in a bit of a dark area and well the few little LED's on the tank are very low light and that sag is holding it's own. It isn't growing very much but it does slowly throw out runners. It's not going to hurt to try it or try a couple different ones to see what if any will work in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom