Case of "Child Mishap"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
First off I want to say I hope none of you view what's happened as a strike against my parenting skills... Let's just say my son has been a bit of a challenge at times over this last year... He's 7 1/2.
I had 14 guppy fry and 8 Molly fry that were 2 wks old in a small tank and put it in my sons room because it's the only place in the house my two 5 month old kittens can't get in to. I explained why to my son and the importance of never touching the tank. He said he understood and everything was fine yesterday ... This afternoon I decided to look in on the babies and noticed immediately the water was peach/pink colored! I picked them up and the water was color was horrible with crayon pieces and fuzz on the bottom. I looked and none were dead but all were swimming at the surface. I ran them to the kitchen and quickly netted them into a clean container... I dealt with him and long story short he finally confessed. Problem also was there were 5 fish missing! He apparently tried to hand scoop them into a frisbee he filled with water so he could then clean the tank and refill and put fish back in... (he's watched me many times during water changes...)
AHHHHH...

My question is: are these remaining fish going to be okay? The 5 missing ones never showed up...
They were exposed to crayons, Strawberry soda and what looked like carpet fuzz? Or something else...?
They are all swimming around well and ate eagerly...
Should I be worried about them?

I moved the fish out of the bedroom!

Aye yi yi....

It's all over now!!... Soon neighborhood cats and dogs will go missing:eek:

Ok maybe not. My son cracked his 10gal some months back with his bay blades. Not the same as crayons and soda, but just as stressful for the fish and shrimp.:hide:

Not much you can do the survivors but monitor and hope. The next couple of days should tell you ... Besides, maybe they liked the taste of the soda.:dance:

jcolon said:
It's all over now!!... Soon neighborhood cats and dogs will go missing:eek:

Ok maybe not. My son cracked his 10gal some months back with his bay blades. Not the same as crayons and soda, but just as stressful for the fish and shrimp.:hide:

Not much you can do the survivors but monitor and hope. The next couple of days should tell you ... Besides, maybe they liked the taste of the soda.:dance:

Hahaha...

Shall I add he snuck the soda too! :-/

Poor fish! They were like that for hours!

Curious kids. Sounds like something one of my kids would do. LOL! Sometimes they can be so mischievous. My daughter apparently had a "science experiment" in her room once. A jar of water with little beads that expanded when they got wet. The water spoiled and she opened it and spilt it. It smelled so bad! Hopefully she learned something from that experiment.

I hope they'll be ok. I'd just keep an eye on them. I don't know what else you would be able to do.

Back
Top Bottom