caught this fella unexpectedly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Athaocity

Aquarium Advice Freak
baby largemouth bass!!

imagejpeg_2_4.jpg

imagejpeg_2_5.jpg

during a pond fishing afternoon today, my bottle trap intended for mosquito fish, trapped this fella. did not expect to catch a bass but... cool beans!

anyone else does this too? bottle trapping, etc.?

One must be especially careful with juveniles holding their jaw in such a manner - it is very easy to cause long lasting damage that could potentially hamper the livelihood of the fish further down the road. At that size they are still quite anatomically fragile :)

You should also check local laws about keeping these fish. I know
here in FL you have to catch game fish on hook and line only or it's an immediate release.

As far as collecting fish, I do it regularly. I don't use traps very often, I usually opt for a dipnet or seine.

MrPillow said:
One must be especially careful with juveniles holding their jaw in such a manner - it is very easy to cause long lasting damage that could potentially hamper the livelihood of the fish further down the road. At that size they are still quite anatomically fragile :)

oooo okay thanks for the heads up.

dlongbeach said:
I've never tried that. But what are you going to do with the little fella?

I let it go. was fishing for sunfishes and hooked a baby largemouth and trapped a baby largemouth.

jetajockey said:
You should also check local laws about keeping these fish. I know
here in FL you have to catch game fish on hook and line only or it's an immediate release.

As far as collecting fish, I do it regularly. I don't use traps very often, I usually opt for a dipnet or seine.

I didnt fish or trap to keep. I was trying out new jigging techniques and lure types for bluegills, sunfishes. by dipnet, is that using nets and then scooping them up?

Back
Top Bottom