Celestial pearl danios with scars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maria anastasia

Aquarium Advice Newbie
The last week i was on holiday and i put in papers the every day dosis, so that my flatmate can feed my fish. The last time that i cleaned the filter was 2 months ago more or less and the last time i cleaned the aquarium 3 weeks ago. All the fish are very active and are moving like normally but 2 celestial pearl danios have scars/strange things on them. I tried to make fotos and I hope that they can help. Below the info of my tank.

So the CPD1 is one of the initial that i bought but the CPD2 I do not know any more if it is one of the initial or one of the babies. I tried to make fotos of them and put them together. Later i will try to make some more.

1. Size of tank? 60lt

2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia? less than 0,05 (JBL NH4 Test but all the rest of the values come from the quick test of Dehner)
b. Nitrite? No
c. Nitrate? 0
d. pH, KH and GH? 7,2 - 6 ->7
e. Test kit? Dehner Wassertest

3. Temperature? 25 Celsius

4. FW (fresh water)

5. How long the aquarium has been set up? More than 2 years but the celestial pearl danio are there something more that 14 months.

6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them? 4 celestial pearl danios adults (2 of them are babies of the 4 initial that i bought and 2 of the initial are dead since some months ago), 2 baby celestial pearl danios and 2 corys. I also have shrimps ghost and red one, some shells and a clea helena (my shells were becoming really a lot)

7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? No

8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? Only live plants
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? Gravel
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? Hollow decor - i have a pineapple and some pots inside

9. a. Filtration? yes
b. Heater? yes

10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? white light and it is normally on from 7 in the morning till 21.00 in the evening, but the last 5 days i was in holiday and they had only natural light so from 7.00 till 19.00 i would say.
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long? Direct sunlight no. But there is light arriving in the aquarium.

11. a. Water change schedule? Once a month
b. Volume of water changed? 30%
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? Tap water
d. Water conditioner used? The last 8 months i am not using water conditioner. I see no difference in the values that i get.
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? Twice a month but i do once a month half of the aquarium and the second time of the same month the other half

12. Foods? Tetramin
How often are they fed? Once in the morning

13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? Two of the fish have discontinuity in their colors
b. Appearance of poop?
c. Appearance of gills?

14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? No
b. What meds were used? Nothing

Here are also the fotos

Attachments

• 2017_07_26_CPD2.jpg
    2017_07_26_CPD2.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 237
  • 2017_07_26_CPD1.jpg
    2017_07_26_CPD1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 62
Water conditioner neutralizes the harmful chemicals used to make drinking water safe for humans and much more. I strongly suggest you use it. Plz read.

http://www.seachem.com/prime.php

I have read that Fish suffering from chlorine poisoning may appear pale, may look as if they are covered in mucus and may develop red areas on their bodies. Affected fish may swim erratically or hover near the top of the water, struggling to breathe.

Last edited:
I was using the conditioner in the beginning but when i stopped I noticed 0 differences in the values that I am getting. I am checking my water twice a month and everything is the same with before that i was using conditioner.

I don't think that chlorine would effect ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate levels in any way, as the two are unrelated. Because of this, unless you are testing specifically for chlorine, the levels you test will not change.

Despite not effecting ammonia, etc, chlorine WILL negatively effect your fish, often resulting in death. Conditioner is a necessity.

I don't think that chlorine would effect ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate levels in any way, as the two are unrelated. Because of this, unless you are testing specifically for chlorine, the levels you test will not change.

Despite not effecting ammonia, etc, chlorine WILL negatively effect your fish, often resulting in death. Conditioner is a necessity.

I am measuring CL2. I can not understand with this the levels?

I did a 40& change of water and I put a glass tank inside my aquarium and I placed the 2 wounded CPD. I will not use any medication unless somebody knows what this looks like. In any case I have home a medicine from API for bacteria but this is is for Betta fish. I do not know if this makes a difference. Should I use it?

I didn't want to put in the whole aquarium medicine. I have baby shrimps and I have also 2 CPD that are still small and I guess that medication is not gonna be the best for them.

I second everyone saying to get a chlorine remover. I use API Stress coat with aloe Vera, you can put some extra because it will help with the slime coat which may help with what is happening to your cpd.

It is absolutely necessary to remove chlorine from your water before adding it to the tank. 100% and not to be skipped, ever. Have you ever opened your eyes in an a pool? It burns like heck, and that same thing is happening to your fish all over their bodies.

I forgot to put the stress coat one time and I prayed to all the fish gods to forgive me that one error.

As for your pictures, it kind of looks like it may be a fungus but I'm not too sure. Someone with more experience perhaps can weigh in.

Also, water changes should be done once a week or so.

You are getting 0 nitrate readings? Usually means the tank is uncycled or you aren't shaking nitrate test bottles hard enough. I had this problem with API and I had to bang them off of things to get them to read anything

I think someone said chlorine is unrelated to ammonia levels? Chlorine or chloramine kills bacteria and can crash your cycle resulting in an ammonia spike when the bacteria level falls

I did right now one of the quick tests and it showed 0 nitrate. I will do again also the test with the test bottles and I will get back here. But since I have the tests (after one of my fish got sick a year ago), I never got a higher reading than 0.

Cl2 is always high in my aquarium, even when I was using the conditioner, didn't seem to change, so I stopped using it. Since yesterday I started putting again, reading all these comments but I hardly believe it is doing something in my Cl2. I have Aquasafe from Tetra.

The rest of the fish seem ok and the shrimps too. I am thinking in any case to make in 1-2 days one more water change in the tank but like 20%.

In any case, one of my CPD died today and now I am making water changes in the small tank that I have the other one that has scars. But I think she is quite stressed, cause she can see the other fish but she can not swim with them. I hope this is not making her worse. I will make a water change in some hours.

I have some vitamins for fish. Could they help in some way? I got them for my Betta.

Where the scar is, it starts to be swollen a bit. I kept the lights off today, so that she might be less stressed in the quarantine tank.

I started with medication for bacteria. She is very active but I think she is not eating. Or not eating a lot. It is like she doesn't care.

She is trying continuously to join the other fish, that they are also coming close to get to the quarantine tank, which I do not know if it is good or bad. Should I put plants around her quarantine tank, so that she doesn't see the other fish?

She doesn't seem to get worse but how will I understand that she is better?

Back
Top Bottom