Cespitularia (xenia) out if control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ingy

Aquarium Advice Addict
My Blue Cespitularia has taken off. There is no controlling it. I was trimming some and selling it but now tiny buds have started to spring up all over the tank. I want it gone and I'm thinking of increasing the temp to 82F to see if that works. I am a bit concerned about my others corals, and my palythoas are the biggest concern. Will that temp kill them too?
My only other option I can think of is to house my other corals at the LFS and borrow a coral eater. The problem is my LFS sucks real bad and might kill my corals. Anybody have any other ideas? A Xenia eating bug perhaps?

Remove the rock that has the xenia on it and trade it for clean rocks to the LFS. Raising the temp to 82 isn't going to do anything. my tank has hit 82 plenty of times.

Right, so you need to remove one rock at a time and replace until you have none left. If little stragglers remain, you can kalk paste them just like you would aptasia.

Interesting problem to have. I don't think anything I am aware of that just eats Xenia off hand. Mr-X is right, you need to exchange rocks a few at a time and kill the stragglers. Kalk paste works, also a long hypodermic needle with lemon juice will do the trick. You need to treat it like a aptasia outbreak. Luckily, people want blue Xenia, so the rocks should be desirable.

Here's some evidence for xenia eaters;

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f180/what-eats-xenia-106533.html

Last edited:
You should try building a xenia scrubber in your sump . I have always wanted someone to try that :)

I wish i had your problem. Xenia seems unhappy in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom