Chaeto Eating Worm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cashmoney6980

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well since I got my ball of chaeto, I've noticed there's one hole in a chunk of live rock in the fuge that the chaeto keeps getting stuck in, almost every night. I thought for a while that maybe it was starting to take root or something, but then it hit me that chaeto doesn't root... One morning before the light went on I noticed a little brown worm with the mouth at the top of it sticking out munching on some chaeto. As soon as I made some sound it zoomed back into its hole while holding onto the chaeto. I took my tweezers and pulled the chaeto out and seen 3 little antennae reaching out and feeling around. It was a darker brown with some black stripes and about as big around as a sucker stick.

I'm sorry for the vague description, but that's about all I know about it. I haven't seen it out long enough to get a pic, and have only seen it a few times. At first I thought it might be a peanut worm, but from what I understand, they eat pods and the such. Any ideas as to what it sounds like it could be would be much appreciated! I don't think its doing any harm, as I've only seen it eating some chaeto, and hasn't put a big enough dent in it for me to notice

I've read that bristleworms can sometimes eat chaeto. Not sure if that's the right ID since you said it has antennae which some bristleworms have, but the antennae are not very long.

Well it's definately not a bristle worm. I know bristle worms, and this was much different. I might just have to camp out one and try to get a pic. It doesn't seem to come out with the lights on tho. Seems like he comes out just long enough to grab the chaeto, then yanks it back down to his hole and spends the day grazing. He does keep one tight grip on that chaeto tho, cuz when I go tO pull it out, I have to rip it to get it back

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom