Changing Filter Cartridges to Bio Rings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dsudnick

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all, I’m in the process of changing my filter into something better. I’m removing the filter cartridges that come with the filter. I bout sponge to put in the back and I bought those white bio rings to put in front. Do I NEED to get carbon filtration too or no?

Also how to you recommend changing all this out because I know I am going to lose a lot of the beneficial bacteria already in the filter cartridges

Thanks I’m advance!

From your previous thread you arent cycled, so you dont have much beneficial bacteria to lose. I would just get it over in one go. A more cautious approach would be to gradually replace the cartridges 1 a week, there are 4 cartridges in your filter from recollection. You will have to look at your filter and see if that is something you can realistically do.

As for carbon. Carbon removes organic compounds. This is typically

- Tannins from driftwood which colour the water and make it tea like.
- Phenols that cause odours.
- Medication.

Tannins are temporary. Once they have leeched out they stop effecting your water.
If you keep up with your water changes you shouldn't get smells
Medication is a temporary situation.

So, use carbon for its intended purpose. Then stop its use. Once any tannins has leeched out of driftwood, remove any carbon. Keep up with your water maintenance and you shouldn't get smells. If you need to medicate use carbon to pull it out of the water once the medication period is over.

Carbon is expensive, only lasts a couple of weeks before it needs replacing and most of the time isnt really doing anything of benefit. You dont need it in the filter all of the time.

Many people will advocate its use all the time and say it removes ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. This is a misunderstanding of what carbon will do. It will remove some organic compounds before they break down into ammonia, but doesnt actually remove ammonia. In a cycled tank, the nitrogen cycle will remove the ammonia anyway. Some people say it keeps their water crystal clear. IMO their water would still be clear without it. Running carbon all the time wont hurt anything, and if you can stand the expense that's your choice.

Hey all, I’m in the process of changing my filter into something better. I’m removing the filter cartridges that come with the filter. I bout sponge to put in the back and I bought those white bio rings to put in front. Do I NEED to get carbon filtration too or no?

Also how to you recommend changing all this out because I know I am going to lose a lot of the beneficial bacteria already in the filter cartridges

Thanks I’m advance!
Hello, if no room in filter for both medias, cycled & uncycled you can use a nylon stocking. Simply put everything, floss pad, charcoal & sponge in nylon. Cut to sz, slip over w/intake in center of bag so water flows through the media. Then attach bag w/rubber band or some other aquarium safe tie. It will look ugly but in a couple weeks it should seed the new. You can use a nylon bag for bio rings for easier maintenance. Hopefully this helps you!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom