Changing filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jc102

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

I have 3 aquariums, two 5 gallon thanks with a betta in each and one 10 gallon with glo-fish. One of the 5 gallon tanks' filter died on me, so I went shopping for a new one.

I ended up buying an Aqua-Tech 3 stage filter for a 10 gallon tank. That's all they had. So, I thought I could take the whisper filter that is currently on my 10 gallon tank (it's made for 5-10g aquariums) and put it on the 5 gallon tank, and use the new filter on the 10 gallon tank since it is more powerful.

How can I do this without massively disrupting the nitrogen cycle? I know my betta tank needs a filter soon, as it has been 2 days since the old filter died. I've been doing daily water changes since then. If I move the whisper filter from the 10 gallon to the 5 gallon and install the new Aqua-Tech filter on the 10 gallon, will I be able to prevent a total restart of the cycle by putting the bio grid off of the old (dead) filter in with it?

Unfortunately, the filter had died sometime while I was at work. By the time I realized it, the media had dried.

Yesterday, I went ahead and installed the Aqua-Tech filter alongside the Whisper filter on my 10 gallon tank. I'm going to let them run side-by-side for a while before moving the Whisper filter over to the betta tank. In the meantime, I guess I'm just going to do a lot of PWCs on the betta tank until the filter can be moved over.

Back
Top Bottom