Changing from fine sand bed to crushed argonite -- any tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flanque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi,

Thinking of changing from fine sand bed to crush argonite. Not sure why, just feel like a change but wanted advice from you about the effects this would have. It seems as though my CA levels are always up at the desired level, or if not drop off verrry slowly. I was told this is because I have a fine sand bed.

I assume this will change if I change it to crushed argonite?

Also, how much bacteria would live in the sand? Could I expect some weird occurances to happen with the various levels?

Waste will trap much easier producing high nitrate levels unless you vacuum the larger particle crushed coral. As you mentioned, it also does not dissolve as readily which means it won't buffer as well. I can't think of many positive reasons why to make the change.

yes.....the big question is why...i wished i have all fine sand but i mixed mine and most of the top bed is the larger argonite which i figured but dont like...
is anything Id mix it
steps to do this is to move all LR and critters/fish into a holding quarantine tank/container....Id actually suggest pulling the water from your main for this cause ur fish and all will be stressed enough from the move so using the same water will help lessen this.
if u mix(which would be alot easier) then just pour in the new argonite sand (be sure to wash it over and over and over and over LOL....
u get the rest fomr there im sure :)

The only problem with mixing the two sizes is that in a short time the larger particles make their way to the surface and you end up with the same pitfalls of using only larger particles. I tried to mix in some Garf Grunge and it separated in only a few months.

Re: Changing from fine sand bed to crushed argonite -- any t

flanque said:
Hi,

Thinking of changing from fine sand bed to crush argonite.

Are you talking about Crushed Coral or a larger grain aragonite sand?

HoopsGuru said:
The only problem with mixing the two sizes is that in a short time the larger particles make their way to the surface and you end up with the same pitfalls of using only larger particles. I tried to mix in some Garf Grunge and it separated in only a few months.

this is what i have but this isnt necessary true...if you have critters the stirr sand then it will mix it up and have areas with fine sand at the top...due to the critters...snails and what not
i just got some sand shifting conchs and they are working it good

I don't believe that snails have the capacity to completely turn a sandbed. I have a variety of nassarius snails, etc. that clean the sand but that is the extent. With different sand grains, it may be possible...but I have been assuming the person is discussing mixing a large particle liked Crushed Coral and may be the most important question posed.

Back
Top Bottom