changing to reef salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
can I just change from the regular instant ocean salt mix to reef salt ? I mean, do I have to change over gradually or can I just go from one to the other. Boy..that sounds like a dumb question

You should be fine switching over completely. Just use it whenever you do water changes. That's what I did when I went from regular instant ocean to reef crystals

thanks.
I see from your profile, you have a 20 gallon high reef tank. That's what I have. A pair of clowns, yellow clown goby, and two chromis. I only have soft corals but heard that a reef salt mix would benefit them also. You ever any problems with hair algae ?

I had serious issues with Cyanobacteria and bryopsis when I started. No hair algae though. My 20 is a mixed reef tank with mostly lps, sps and zoas. The reef salt will help with softies and if you get into lps or sps.

What is the difference between instant ocean and reef crystals? Don't they both cost the same?

What is in the salt is the difference. Reef crystals has higher levels of mag, alk, and calcium in them to better support a reef.
For the most part, most salts cost about the same and yet have higher levels of this or that.
Softies can benefit from a reef salt as well, they just don't use calcium to build a hard skeleton like LPS and SPS.

Back
Top Bottom