Changing to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erikmoseley

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all I'm redoing a friends 55 gal at his business and was looking for advice. He wants his old gravel swapped for sand ( I got pool filter sand) and wants his old rock structure removed and a new one done. ( they're disgustingly dirty). He has one JD in there about 5 inch. Will I be putting the fish at risk changing all this and potentially causing a cycle? I'm not close to there so would not be able to do water changes more often than weekly. Is best bet to save old gravel and toss in a nylon and let sit in tank on top of the sand and also add some to canister filter If I can?

Hi all I'm redoing a friends 55 gal at his business and was looking for advice. He wants his old gravel swapped for sand ( I got pool filter sand) and wants his old rock structure removed and a new one done. ( they're disgustingly dirty). He has one JD in there about 5 inch. Will I be putting the fish at risk changing all this and potentially causing a cycle? I'm not close to there so would not be able to do water changes more often than weekly. Is best bet to save old gravel and toss in a nylon and let sit in tank on top of the sand and also add some to canister filter If I can?

I don't think tossing sand in the canister is going to help at all. Your using the same filtration correct? Just changing substrate right?

Just take the JD if ya want. But in a 5 gallon bucket of tank water. Throw a air stone and heater in there and so the gravel to sand swap.

Gravel vac all the gunk out and there will be ALOT!! Remove all the gravel and add your washed, ready to add sand.

Do a few water changes, the water should clear up. You can even add a bag of carbon if you want, it may help....

Get your tank temp to the desired temp and add back your JD. when I did my switch out from gravel to sand I had help... ALOT of help from a buddy of owns a fish store. He left the fish in and did it. Took about 2 hours and we were done.

I don't think tossing sand in the canister is going to help at all. Your using the same filtration correct? Just changing substrate right?

Just take the JD if ya want. But in a 5 gallon bucket of tank water. Throw a air stone and heater in there and so the gravel to sand swap.

Gravel vac all the gunk out and there will be ALOT!! Remove all the gravel and add your washed, ready to add sand.

Do a few water changes, the water should clear up. You can even add a bag of carbon if you want, it may help....

Get your tank temp to the desired temp and add back your JD. when I did my switch out from gravel to sand I had help... ALOT of help from a buddy of owns a fish store. He left the fish in and did it. Took about 2 hours and we were done.

Thank. Yes basically just swapping substrate and some rocks. I think I have a game plan and i will make sure the first step is rinsing the sand again and again. I didn't mean put sand in canister, I meant do I put some of the old gravel in there in a nylon or do I just put it in nylon and let it sit in tank?

You don't need to do anything. Your using the same filters/canister correct? If so....

Gravel in a media bag will not do anything

Back
Top Bottom