Check valves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schpanky

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys. I'm on the path to pressurized C02, with more questions.

I ordered a regulator that comes with a bubble counter attached. I ordered a second bubble counter that comes complete with a check valve built in. I'm going to use both (the second bubble counter is going to be suctioned to the tank). Do I need a second check valve or is it enough to have one (the one that is built into the bubble counter)?

That should work. You may also consider getting another check valve down the road if for some reason you have to remove the second bubble counter.
The bubble counter/check valve combo that was shipped with the Aquatek regulator was not very sturdy. Another member reported breaking it while connecting the tubing. I experienced the same thing while tightening the lid (it was leaking between the lid and body on the unit). The plastic nipples are clear acrylic/plastic and not sturdy IMO. The Fluval bubble counter that I replaced it used polyethylene (I believe) and the tubing connectors had barbs and compression nuts so it did not rely solely on friction of the tubing alone to maintain a good seal. It did not have a check valve so I used a brass one made by Rhinox. I am also using a second check valve (low cost one from one of the big box stores). It prolly works well in low pressure applications and might be ineffective in my setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Certainly doesnt hurt and you get a check valve to put in line for fairly cheap. I know my LFS has them!

Back
Top Bottom