Chemi-pure question and LR selection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdjxt39

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys I just wanted to run by my selection of live rock.

I regret purchasing anything from the LFS as it was so freaking expensive at $9 a pound, but anyway I went with 30 pounds of Drs Foster Smith premium Lola rock and 22 pounds of Drs Foster Smith premium Fiji rock. I understand I need to cure them for about 3 weeks since I have fish in my tank, but I think they should do nicely.

Also I am considering replacing the 4 packs of carbon in my fluval 404 with 2 packs of chemi-pure and having them at the very bottom, the bio-cylinders in the middle, and fluval "fine" pads at the top for a little bit of extra mechanical filtration right after the bio-cylinders.

Does that sound good?

Since the rock was shipped by mail, you're going to need to cure it (as there will be dieoff of organisms). Get a rubbermaid tub, mix up some fresh LR, get a powerhead and heater in the hub, and test the water. You'll get the normal ammonia and nitrite spike and then its cured.

I've never run chemi-pure myself so someone else will need to comment :)

I believe Lando uses chemi-pure.

theatrus is right, your LR should cycle kind of like your tank did. I am not too sure on the specifics, as in, if you have to do PWCs along the way.

Back
Top Bottom