Cherry Red Shrimp for Christmas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RomanticSkeptic

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone! My 6 year old has asked for Cherry Red Shrimp for Christmas. I'm looking to do a very simple, easy to maintain setup. She helps out with our community tank (10 gal w/ 5 dwarf rasporas, 2 ghost shrimp, 2 guppies, and 2 cories), so she's pretty informed for a 6 year old. Any suggestions?

BTW: We're looking to set up soon and stash the cycling tank at my in-laws until Christmas Eve, then we have another week for cycling before we pick out shrimp because she'll be on vacation with her mom. So the smaller the better for transportation purposes.

You can do a 5-10g. Just lower water down to transport a 10g.

I have two 5.5g tanks. You can use smaller...but everything happens faster the smaller you go. Temp swings etc.

I wouldn't recommend less than a 5g IMHO.

Java Ferns and Mosses will grow under almost any light.

Crypts grow slow and are easy. They just need root tabs every 4 months.

Just do 25-30% PWCs every week. You only need to feed Shrimp 2x a week if that.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418431772.737272.jpg

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd stick with a 10gal as the 5gals are too unstable if you're not all that experienced. A little sponge filter and a chunk of java moss is all you really need. A few MTS or Ramshorn snails and you're set. I add some dried Oak leaves from my yard, 1 leaf every 2 months. The shrimp and baby snails love the leaves and they promote biofilm the staple food for both shrimp and snails. I give my shrimp a blanched green pea or half of one every 3 days. You can make a bunch then freeze them and they will last for ever. The RCS will also readily reproduce and that is another good reason for the larger tank.

I'd stick with a 10gal as the 5gals are too unstable if you're not all that experienced. A little sponge filter and a chunk of java moss is all you really need. A few MTS or Ramshorn snails and you're set. I add some dried Oak leaves from my yard, 1 leaf every 2 months. The shrimp and baby snails love the leaves and they promote biofilm the staple food for both shrimp and snails. I give my shrimp a blanched green pea or half of one every 3 days. You can make a bunch then freeze them and they will last for ever. The RCS will also readily reproduce and that is another good reason for the larger tank.
Do all shrimp like the blanched peas? I have ghost and cherry shrimp?

Back
Top Bottom