Cherry shrimp spawn in breeder cage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KyloRen

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got this cool breeder cage from my friend, I actually don't know how big it is. It uses a pump to suck in water from my 55 and has a small little hole for water to flow back into the 55. So I was wondering if I threw a few red cherry shrimps in here with some java moss and a moss ball will they be able to breed in it?

Attachments

• IMG_0373.jpg
    IMG_0373.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 76
if your water parameters are somewhat in the range and your temp in the tank is ok, then they should breed in the breeder. Be sure to match a pair though for obvious reasons.

Its a great breeder btw, I haven't been able to find one online recently though i do want one, much better than the floating ones- takes up no space in your aquarium and allows for less stressed breeding fish in it as they are separated from all the stuff happening in the tank.
Be sure to provide enough moss for the shrimp and you should be fine

from what you have describes it sounds like a marineland breeder box. Shrimp will breed in their no problem. The only problem you might have is where the water flows out of the top of the box back into the tank. If you don't have the piece it comes with to kind of plug it so babies cant get through you may have to rig something up or the babies could end up in the main tank and get eaten.

Being that its connected to a 55 gallon tank and not just its own 1 gallon closed system you could easily throw a few shrimp in with no real problems. They have an extremely low bio-load to begin with.

Awesome! thank you for the replies :)what would my parameters need to be to breed? I've been having some problems with the 55 but everything is stabilizing so hopefully I can add the shrimp soon! also I was wondering how I would go about removing debris and stuff that are stuck on the bottom of the breeder.

Awesome! thank you for the replies :)what would my parameters need to be to breed? I've been having some problems with the 55 but everything is stabilizing so hopefully I can add the shrimp soon! also I was wondering how I would go about removing debris and stuff that are stuck on the bottom of the breeder.

Water parameters should just be little nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, ph anywhere from 6.2-7.8 probably, try not to go much above that, water temperature mid 70's should be fine, and just the standard stuff that you would have your aquarium at under normal conditions too.

For cleaning, just clean the breeder with an aquarium brush and NO soap before adding shrimp to it, and clean it after they breed and the babies grow. Since the shrimp eat most of the stuff such as algae etc. building up, you shouldn't have to worry about it, if you must, use a cloth or sponge that is aquarium safe to gently brush off the sides and bottom of the breeder. That's what I'd go with

Back
Top Bottom