Childhood plant id

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Demonknight

Aquarium Advice Freak
Got a tough one for you guys;), native to america plant that grows in water. Long stem, rooted in soil/sand that has long (4 to 5 inch) leaves that grow off the main stem kind of like feathers. I remember it from streams back in Nebraska but for the life of me can't even remember what we called it, had a whitish stem and very dark leaves and I only remember it being in the faster parts of the streams we fished in.

I'm still digging as this is going to annoy:???: me until I figure it out....

saddly no... so far the closest thing i've seen it the "leafy pondweed" and its not quite what I remember...course I'm going on a 30 year old memory here.

Pretty sure this is it http://wisplants.uwsp.edu/bigphoto/STUPEC_PSK1.jpg

[FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]Family Potamogetonaceae[/FONT]
[FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]Stuckenia pectinata (L.) Börner[/FONT]
[FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]comb pondweed, sago pondweed[/FONT]
[FONT=ARIEL, HELVETICA]pectinata: Latin for "comb-like"[/FONT]

Hmmm, now where to go find some for my tank.... the stream I remember it from is 1200 miles away.

Since I started a thread and then after digging through 35 or so of 50 pages at the usda's website on plants found what I was looking for I figure why not ask a few more questions here...

1. are ugf's used when useing sand/dirt in planted tanks?
2. are protein skimmers a salt water only item or do they work for fresh?
3. thinking of setting up my currently empty 125 tank as a Qt for plants, cons?

1-nope... and they're rarely used in fw now because of the efficiency of power filters and the easier maintenance that comes with them

2- saltwater only. there are some fw skimmers, but I can't see a single reason to use one... not even sure that they do anything really

3- that'll work, but man that's a big tank to set up to qt plants. Just dip them in H2O2 real quick and rinse them off in tap water. That's what I do.

h202 = hydrogen peroxide right?

Now to talk the kid into taking a swim for me

Oh and we got a new couch and the 125 no longer fits into the room so its sitting outside in our double car port doing nothing.

OK. Something you may want to do first... Just as a little disclaimer. check your local laws before pulling any plants/fish from the wild. Some places are protected and it can be a felony if you're caught. Other places, no big deal.

on the law part, only ones I'm finding are setup to stop you from bringing plants into the lakes/streams.. however I'll be sure to ask the first game warden I run into.

Good. Usually, you only run in to those types of laws (concerning plants) in national/state parks, but it definitely doesn't hurt to ask. Game wardens would definitely be a good source of info.

Back
Top Bottom