Chris' 40g breeder upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not 100% sure, but here are some pics and current parameters:

Temp 80
Salinity 1.025 (measured with refractometer)

API test kit :
Phosphate .25
pH 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

Red Sea test kit:
Mg 1500
dKH 9.8 3.5
Ca 350

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428889220.687791.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428889260.192837.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428889282.795457.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428889353.305114.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428889451.418430.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

When sucked up off the sand bed, it comes in clumps with sand. I remember the diatom bloom that happened during the cycle when I first had my 29g set up. This isn't the same stuff.

I should note that I tried growing cheato twice in the sump and both times it would start to grow, then die off, break up and shoot up the return pump into the DT. I cleaned the refugium and return sections of the sump 2 weeks ago. Still need to clean the overflow intake/skimmer section. Also important to note that I'm not using a filter sock.

I feed every other day, mostly frozen, and always strained. I turn all pumps off until food is gone, so I know I'm not over feeding. I target feed corals about once a week with Coral Frenzy.

Updated pics. Still battling algae but all in all I think everything is going well. My wife thinks I have OCD for moving aquascape/corals around about once a month. Just trying to that get that "Wow" factor I guess. Think I nailed it this time. Will be adding more zoas to my "zoa rock" soon and maybe a bubble tip anemone for the clowns in a few months. My clowns just started trying to host the flowerpot and would hate for them to "love it to death".

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432412183.568185.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432412201.603029.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432412236.091480.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432412262.828785.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432412285.497784.jpg

I feed every other day, mostly frozen, and always strained. I turn all pumps off until food is gone, so I know I'm not over feeding. I target feed corals about once a week with Coral Frenzy.

I do the same. Only frozen and I use BRS reef chili. I cut back on the dry reef chili though. Probably very close to the ingredients in coral frenzy. I may eventually stop feeding dry ask together, only reason I really do is because my dragonets love it.

Received a RBTA 2 weeks ago from Live Aquaria. Rearranged some corals incase it wanted to move around to find a home, but luckily it hasn't moved since I placed it in the tank. I also added a hydor koralia wave maker for the 2 power heads. Next thing on the list is an ATO.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434629812.968834.jpg

My 2 clowns have already taken a liking to the RBTA. They poke their head in and feed it, so cool to watch. My only real concern is that the clowns are approx 2-3" now and the RBTA is about the same size, so I've noticed that when the clowns host with it, sometimes it closes up some and sometimes it doesn't. I've read about putting small baskets over the anemone until it grows a little, so the clowns won't smother it to death. Am I just being a worry-wort here or should I be legitimately concerned for the well being of the RBTA surviving and thriving? Please share your experiences.

My maroon clown was much larger than my RBTA at first. Couple months later the RBTA has easily doubled its size and fits the clown much better. Just let nature do its thing.

Monthly update time. First the pics...

FTS
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437779900.294178.jpg

Added a torch 2 weeks ago
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437779960.384657.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437780133.422783.jpg

Built an algae scrubber
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437780352.261150.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437780379.764674.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437780477.995425.jpg

Also added a Tunze ATO with an Eshopps 10g reservoir. Also ordered some zoas from a certain 2go company and needless to say, I'm not impressed and will stick with LA and local shops when they have some eye catchers.

Now the bad news. Had 2 fish die, the Chromis and personal favorite, my beloved Pygmy Angel. I look at my tank every other day with a magnifying glass and neither looked sick. The Chromis always acted timid around everyone else, so he may have been bullied. He drowned first. I found what was left of him relatively easy behind a rock after a quick search.

A couple weeks later I added a green emerald crab to help with hair algae. I think he may have caught the angel by surprise. I can't think of any other way he died. I searched everywhere and no trace...hence the new aquascape arrangement. Never been heartbroken over a fish like this before. Miss that little guy.

An emerald crab won't be catching any healthy fish off guard. A fish missing is simply a clean up crew doing their job, it is what you put them in the tank to do. It happens to fish, be it sometimes even old age or even a parasite you can't see.

Back
Top Bottom