Chronic high ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfriend1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone Im almost at the point of giving up ! Ive had a freshwater tank for about 6 months, 70L. I have had problems with very high ammonia for the last couple of months and had my first lot of fancy goldfish die because of it. I have two more now that have been doing ok until now.
I have tried multiple things already:
doing a 25% water change 2-3 times a week.
Aminolock
special filter sachets to remove ammonia
Prime
stresszyme

Ive taken out plants and ornaments but nothing makes any difference, please help !

Hi. Your tank is too small for goldfish. Even the fancy ones get very big (between 4"-12"+).
Live plants will help but goldfish may eat them.

It’s astonishing how much ammonia those guys produce, isn’t it.

That’s among the reasons (along with the massive adult size) they are unfit for small tanks. (And yes, that is a small tank for goldfish, regardless of what pet stores say!). Keeping goldfish in that size tank will be a ton of work and they will still be living in chronic water quality issues, will likely get sick and die.

You need to decide if you want to keep the goldfish and get a bigger set up or return/ rehome the fish and set up a nice smaller fish community in there.

Back
Top Bottom