Cichilid problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Franwjr

Aquarium Advice Regular
Came home today and noticed these white things on one of my fish. Tested the water and noticed ammonia present. Immediately did a 50% water change. Not sure what caused the ammonia spike but does anyone have an idea what is on this fish?

Attachments

• image-2427612126.jpg
    image-2427612126.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 64
  • image-3655307551.jpg
    image-3655307551.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 67
Can't really tell they seem to be small where they come in contact with the fish and almost look like the head of a pin on the end.

Did he have little red spots or sores before you saw these things or does he have red spots/sores where they are? Do they look like they are stuck on the surface of him or burrowed into the flesh? Do they appear to be individual worm-like things or more like tufts of hairs? In the pic, they look like individual worm-like things but only you can see them in person. I am just trying to figure out what they may be. Anchor worm would be my guess but there are other types of parasites/possibilities.

I have done four massive water changes in the last three days. Whatever it was on the cichlid went away. All the fish in the rank seem to be active and happy. I think I'll just stay on top of daily water changes until I get the ammonia issue under control. I am pretty sure I caused the ammonia spike by over cleaning my filters and gravel. I guess sometimes it would pay to be a little lazy and leave well enough alone. Lesson learned.

image-3692949817.jpg

Back
Top Bottom