Cichlid setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

benjy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Iam hoping to put some cichlids in a tank ive just started cycling, is there any important pointers? Is there enough rock in there already? I will be adding hopefully java fern between the current rock as i read somewhere cichlids wernt a big fan of eating it????,,, i do know they need a higher ph and lots of filtration and higher fish per gallon ratio, hoping to keep peacocks and haps so tell me how to do it lol, my other tank is trop aswell and doing well

I can tell you that taking done filter media from your established tank and adding it to your new tank will help it cycle faster! I'm thinking cichlids will trash most plants, java fern may be ok if it's tied off nice nice to a rock, also lots of rocks a caves and crevices always work well.. Look cool too!! How bigs the tank?

I have seeded filters from my other tank, and will be tying fern to rocks lol as i thought they might trash it, tank is 165litres 84cm long by 48 cm high

Sweet looking tank! Those holey rocks should provide a great anchor point.. I'd add lots more rock structures and some caves..

More rocks can easily be obtained, iam also fitting 2 blue led tubes and one white into the hood as current light is trash, so hiding space is a big must?

More rocks can easily be obtained, iam also fitting 2 blue led tubes and one white into the hood as current light is trash, so hiding space is a big must?
aqueon modular LEDs?? My experience with cichlids is limited to my dwarfs, apisto's and rams, they both love caves! It seems that cichlids like hideaways and different territories. Rock structures provide this. It also helps with ph buffering in using certain rocks..

I havent looked into the brands of leds but it will certainly be done, i did read that ocean rock like mine should raise ph which will help but of i struggle ill use crushed coral, no fish will be added till water params are perfect iam in no rush lol,,,seems like i need some hides then i was also wondering of there was a magic male to female ratio?and stocking suggestions would be good

For stocking.. Try posting in the cichlid forumn, I really have no experience with a full cichlid tank, one day though!!

Yup, you're in getting started! Oh and Welcome! You've found a great resource in joining the AA community. The cichlid guys and girls on here know everythinggg!

Back
Top Bottom