Cichlid spawning - help/advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mbratcher13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a cichlid tank with. 3 convicts, a jack Dempsey , and a jewel - all ranging about 1 1/2 to 3 inches in size. I was told it's a 39 gallon tank but I think it may actually be a 30. Anyway...Advice please! This is my male convict cichlid that has recently paired off with my female. He's guarding her in their cave. He appears to have bruises above and below his mouth. I just asked about removing my other fish which I'm thinking I might do today... But does this look like fighting wounds or an illness? He's swimming fine, just very adamant about no fish coming near their cave. All the other fish look okay, but him and the female were fighting som earlier today, spinning around and locking mouths. She's a little bigger than him. Is it normal for aggression between the pair prior to spawning? I checked her as well in the cave and she has some as well as her lips are white. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407001307.229994.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is it possible you can get a better picture? More and likely it's from him protecting the babies/nest. When I had my convict cichlids the male got bumps/bruise/ calluses all the time, he got then from defending his territory, or scraping against the rocks. Hope this helped

Yes, thank you! Sorry the picture was bad. I did some reading and I'm going to keep an eye on the spot for about 5 days and see how it progresses - better or worse. The one thing that concerns me is that it seems to be open. If it gets worse I think I'll get some antibacterial/anti fungal to help with infection. I read about some aloe Vera water treatment that promotes quick healing, an experience with that?

I haven't used aloe Vera, but I have used products that contain it. It will help your fish produce a slime coat, which it naturally has... It will help it heal. Just remember it will get worse before it will get better, also when you put any meds/treatment in the water turn your filter off for a few hours. This will help absorb into the fish instead of the meds getting filtered through the tank.

I haven't used aloe Vera, but I have used products that contain it. It will help your fish produce a slime coat, which it naturally has... It will help it heal. Just remember it will get worse before it will get better, also when you put any meds/treatment in the water turn your filter off for a few hours. This will help absorb into the fish instead of the meds getting filtered through the tank.

I've seen fish (usually cichlids) beat the snot out of other fish, split/shredded fins, missing patches of scales, all but open wounds, and they healed up just fine w/out any special care as long as the water was clean and the fish were healthy otherwise. My Synodontis multi's tear patches of skin off each other regularly, but it grows back and they're fine. Unless there's fungus or other signs of infection don't worry.

True, I've seen that too. This is my first experience with the bruising so I'm just going to play it by ear. I would just put him in a hospital tank to ensure no bacteria spread, but I don't want to take him away from his female that they just paired about about 3 days ago.

Back
Top Bottom