Cichlids become skiddish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmarine

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My africans used to get really excited when i'd come near the tank and they'd all gather right at the glass. Then, after i did a water change, they seemed to have become skiddish, and they now always hide when i come near. Anyone else have this and any ideas why?

how long have you had the fish..?

and on the same note, its a bonding experience for me, like a dog, or 20 little dogs, lol i sit on my couch and watch them for a while everyday, or pull up a chair and just watch then feed em and watch some more, now they follow me everywhere.

its a cool feeling, and you get to know them, you notice things like their behavior and little quirks and tricks, habits, play time lol you name it, but idk thats just me, might be weird but i could give less of a crap lol

Same here, but they began doing that when I moved the tank to where they had less face time with the family. When I have starved them, one day out of the week, they do look anxious to eat.

how long have you had the fish..?

and on the same note, its a bonding experience for me, like a dog, or 20 little dogs, lol i sit on my couch and watch them for a while everyday, or pull up a chair and just watch then feed em and watch some more, now they follow me everywhere.

its a cool feeling, and you get to know them, you notice things like their behavior and little quirks and tricks, habits, play time lol you name it, but idk thats just me, might be weird but i could give less of a crap lol

Haha it sounds like you scared the crap out of them and now they are afraid. Nothing a few feedings shouldn't fix. I have trained mine to nibble on my fingers. Every feeding i put some food in let them eat. Then I hold some under water and get them to fight it from me. Now they will bite fingers without food.

I have been dealing with the same issue with my African peacocks for the past month or 2. Mine used to get excited and go crazy when I went up to the tank. After I did a water change my male hid for almost a week. My females were both holding so I didn't worry too much about their behavior changes under those circumstances.

I made a few changes to my aquascaping and things seemed to get better after a week or two, but now my water change I did a few days ago I'm seeing the same thing- the male is hiding. One of my females has now become the most outgoing and the only one I see out all the time. My other female is holding and seems to be getting picked on by the outgoing female - I've never seen that before. Thinking about removing the holding female to bring her stress down.

I started a thread on this problem ur having when I first had the problem a little over a month ago but most people told me sometimes they just hide like they think they're in a new environment. It was only really suggested that i adjust my decor. I know this doesn't help u but letting u know I'm having the same issue with mine.

Good luck with your Africans hope you get some answers and good advice to get them back to normal :)

Haha it sounds like you scared the crap out of them and now they are afraid. Nothing a few feedings shouldn't fix. I have trained mine to nibble on my fingers. Every feeding i put some food in let them eat. Then I hold some under water and get them to fight it from me. Now they will bite fingers without food.

well i guess im not the only weird one lol nice (y)

I have been dealing with the same issue with my African peacocks for the past month or 2. Mine used to get excited and go crazy when I went up to the tank. After I did a water change my male hid for almost a week. My females were both holding so I didn't worry too much about their behavior changes under those circumstances.

I made a few changes to my aquascaping and things seemed to get better after a week or two, but now my water change I did a few days ago I'm seeing the same thing- the male is hiding. One of my females has now become the most outgoing and the only one I see out all the time. My other female is holding and seems to be getting picked on by the outgoing female - I've never seen that before. Thinking about removing the holding female to bring her stress down.

I started a thread on this problem ur having when I first had the problem a little over a month ago but most people told me sometimes they just hide like they think they're in a new environment. It was only really suggested that i adjust my decor. I know this doesn't help u but letting u know I'm having the same issue with mine.

Good luck with your Africans hope you get some answers and good advice to get them back to normal :)

Haha thanks. It is just really weird. I've had these guys for a long time, they are fry that i grew up ( born in early january) and they always got excited to see me, then on saturday i did a 40% water change, nothing else, and now they're scared of me lol, its strange.

Back
Top Bottom