Cichlids digging into sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cksubu

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I have been having a 150liter cichlid tank for two weeks and i have just done my first water change as the water turned completely yellow during water change. Now I have a problem as my electric blue cichlids have been at the bottom of the tank digging into the sand ever since I have reintroduced them into the new tank. Pls advice

They'll do that.. some cichlids are open pit spawners

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi I have been having a 150liter cichlid tank for two weeks and i have just done my first water change as the water turned completely yellow during water change. Now I have a problem as my electric blue cichlids have been at the bottom of the tank digging into the sand ever since I have reintroduced them into the new tank. Pls advice

Are they digging or flashing? I guess either way it's probably like brookster said it may be a sign of early spawning. Not sure what you mean by the water turning yellow. I've never experienced that.

Now I have a problem as my electric blue cichlids have been at the bottom of the tank digging into the sand ever since I have reintroduced them into the new tank. Pls advice

Did you remove t he fish when you changed water?
What did you put them in?
MOST do not remove their fish when changing water.
How much water did you change ?

Are they digging or flashing? I guess either way it's probably like brookster said it may be a sign of early spawning. Not sure what you mean by the water turning yellow. I've never experienced that.

Excess of organic material in the tank made the water in the tank turn yellow

Can you suggest me a good feed for my cichlids right now I feed them a mixture of dry blood worms and sinking rods. But dried blood worms creat a lot of dirt on the surface of the water in the tank. But pls suggest food that would be easily available in India also

Can you suggest me a good feed for my cichlids right now I feed them a mixture of dry blood worms and sinking rods. But dried blood worms creat a lot of dirt on the surface of the water in the tank. But pls suggest food that would be easily available in India also

Not sure about what's easier to get in India. I feed my Electric Blue Acara and African peacocks small sinking Cichlid pellets, frozen brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms. I have three tanks a total of 11 fish between 3-5 inches and 5 one inch or less. I usually drop in a few pellets for each fish in the morning, one thawed cube of brine shrimp spread over all three tanks when I get home from work, and one thawed cube of bloodworms spread over the three tanks before bed. When you say "Electric Blue" do you have EB rams I assume?

Not sure about what's easier to get in India. I feed my Electric Blue Acara and African peacocks small sinking Cichlid pellets, frozen brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms. I have three tanks a total of 11 fish between 3-5 inches and 5 one inch or less. I usually drop in a few pellets for each fish in the morning, one thawed cube of brine shrimp spread over all three tanks when I get home from work, and one thawed cube of bloodworms spread over the three tanks before bed. When you say "Electric Blue" do you have EB rams I assume?

Thanks for your suggestion I have just brought blood worms cubes and they were really happy to eat the blood worms. I would send a pic of my tank here I have a mixture of cichlids in the tank

Not all can be healthy with blood worms, what kind of cichlids specifically?

Not all can be healthy with blood worms, what kind of cichlids specifically?

Agreed just because they eat them doesn't mean that's all you can feed some species. I actually haven't found anything my EBA's won't eat but you should ID each type you have and look up their diet in the wild. Then come as close to it as you can with what is available. If you check out YouTube and search diy fish food once you know the fish you have you can even make your own frozen food. It's cheaper and depending on recipe may be better nutritionally than store bought options.

Right all of them do respond to dry blood worms and I also feed them with sinking rods that also they enjoy so it's alternate days I keep feeding

Yah, chances are they'll eat it but it doesn't mean it's good for them, what type of cichlids???

Right all of them do respond to dry blood worms and I also feed them with sinking rods that also they enjoy so it's alternate days I keep feeding

Can you post us some pics of the fish?We can help identify them for you and confirm best food options. Chances are they are at least getting some of the nutrition they require already but they may need something else to make them thrive, but not knowing what you have we can't say for sure.

Back
Top Bottom