Clam quarantine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

royalturtle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a new Derasa clam in the mail this morning, 3-4" long. I have the bag floating in my dt, and did not intend to quarantine it since I've read they are difficult to keep alive in qt. However, on inspecting it through the bag I can easily see an aiptasia - haven't taken a closer look yet to see if there are more or other parasites. Knowing that there is at least one aiptasia though definitely makes me want to qt this guy. I have a bare bottom qt, 10g, with these bulbs: Coralife Energy Savers ACL54210 50/50 Mini Compact Bulb, 20w. I have only been using the tank for fish, and currently have a 2-3" Kole tang in the qt. What should I do? Would the clam survive long enough in that tank to ensure there are no other parasites? Thanks for your help!

The only thing is that if it did have parasites that they would be so small you would not see them in the QT. As far as the aiptasia you`ll need to scrape that off because they will grow and multiply in your tank.

I would not quarantine the clam. Just scrape the aiptasia off before it goes in the tank. Most clam parasites are clam specific and not easily seen. Quarantining it under that low light bulb will stress it a lot. I'd just stick it in the display

Thanks to both of you. I pried a total of four aiptasia off, seemed to come off easily in one piece, and scrubbed the shell underneath. Hopefully that does it.

Sounds good, wouldn't mind seeing a pic when you get it in the tank and It opens up :). Clams are my weakness haha

Haha! Will try to get a pic for you if he opens - not sure he's gonna be much of a looker though; would have loved a maxima but didn't feel like that was a great starter clam ;).

I enjoy all clams :), they're all sweet in their own way. Maximas are just extra awesome haha.

In all his glory. Think he's a good 4" across.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 111
Back
Top Bottom