Clam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rush

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I am thinking of buying a clam next. Any suggestions on what kind of clam I should get. I heard they are good at bringing down calcium levels. Is this true?

That depends on what kind of light you have over your tank. The deep blue/green colors need very high light to keep them happy. Maxima and crocea tend to need more light then derasa. Clams will use calcium to build their shell as they grow but it will not take up significantly more calcium then LPS or SPS coral. If you feel like your calcium is to high i would recommend changing your salt.

They might bring them down a little bit but nothing that a regular PWC cant take care of. What type lighting do you have? I have VHO lighting and have had a squamosa and derasa with no problem. I can not get the high light corals.

I am running a 48 inch TEK 6 bulb fixture. Some 10k some 14k, good mix as well as a 48inch LED strip plus moonlight (night time effect). My calcium is not overly high, it is 550, but I think I need a couple more big corals and a clam or two to bring it down to 480 ish.

I am no too concerned about the calcium, I just want some nice looking clams :)

See what you like. With that lighting and calcium you should have no problems. I had a crocea and a derasa, I actually liked the derasa more, but they are all awesome. Placement in the tank will have more effect that anything else. Start them lower in the tank and move them up slowly to prevent them from getting light shock (they can handle lower light than they were in before better than a sudden increase in lighting).

You need to check your KH too, you don't want high calcium with a low KH, they should correlate.

I highly suggest Giant Clams in the Sea and the Aquarium by James Fatherree to anyone who has or is thinking about getting any Tridacnid clams.

Thanks, I am gonna go next week and pick one up. I will see who has what around here for clams.

Mt derasa I have now

004.jpg

My squamosa that I had for 4 yrs.
009.jpg

my buddy has a very nice blue and purple one, i forget what its called though, he said he waited almost a year for our LFs to finally get him one and costed him about $185

Back
Top Bottom