Classroom fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mar23

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am working on setting up a fish tank that I have inherited from another teacher. It is 29 gallons. I need stock recommendations. Since this is a tank that will stay in my classroom, I have the following requirements for the fish:

1. They must be ok with a temperature in the low 70's. I will not be putting a heater in the tank and I cannot raise the temp in the room.
2. They must eat only flake or pellet food. I cannot bring frozen or live food to the classroom.
3. They must be ok with little to no plants. Right now I just have gravel and it will most likely stay like that for a while.
4. No goldfish. I will have to bring them home during long breaks and I don't have a tank that can host a goldfish.
5. Nothing too delicate. Remember: classroom tank.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

That's very specific... Only easy thing that comes to mind is white cloud minnows or rosy reds.

Caleb

I am working on setting up a fish tank that I have inherited from another teacher. It is 29 gallons. I need stock recommendations. Since this is a tank that will stay in my classroom, I have the following requirements for the fish:

1. They must be ok with a temperature in the low 70's. I will not be putting a heater in the tank and I cannot raise the temp in the room.
2. They must eat only flake or pellet food. I cannot bring frozen or live food to the classroom.
3. They must be ok with little to no plants. Right now I just have gravel and it will most likely stay like that for a while.
4. No goldfish. I will have to bring them home during long breaks and I don't have a tank that can host a goldfish.
5. Nothing too delicate. Remember: classroom tank.

Thank you!

I've kept a classroom tank in the past. Guppies always worked well

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi Mar23, shame you can't have a heater, your options would then be huge. At 70f, and maybe lower, a good grouping of White Cloud Mountain minnows would work well. They are not particularly remarkable fish but come into their own when large enough numbers are present so that they shoal.

Guppies would work well, I had a similar setup for a few years, they don't breed quite as fast in the cooler temps though which isn't always a bad thing.

Green, three line or a albino cories will work at that temp, as can cherry shrimp and BN plecs, although they poop a lot.

I think a paradise fish fits all of your requirements. You could do a male and a female if you wanted to. However, they are not a community fish and I always keep them alone.

Thanks, guys. I may go with guppies. The kids want something colorful. I may stick a heater in there. What would you do if it had a heater? Angels?

Rummy nose and a firemouth?

Harlequin rasboras and a dwarf gourami?

Neons and a single angel?

Just a few ideas.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cichlids would be neat for kids, they have a lot of personality. I have a Keyhole in with my guppies, they don't get huge and are mellow enough to leave the guppies alone. I got him to trim the guppy fry down so I wouldn't get overrun, so far he hasn't entirely lived up to that though lol.

Cichlids would be neat for kids, they have a lot of personality. I have a Keyhole in with my guppies, they don't get huge and are mellow enough to leave the guppies alone. I got him to trim the guppy fry down so I wouldn't get overrun, so far he hasn't entirely lived up to that though lol.

Lol. Kind of like my attempt to get rid of a MTS infestation by getting assassin snails. Didn't work.

Thanks, guys. I may go with guppies. The kids want something colorful. I may stick a heater in there. What would you do if it had a heater? Angels?

If you could get sand in the tank, I'd go Shellie's!! They have so much personality, can be put in 10 gallons and kids will love them

Sent via echolocation

If you could get sand in the tank, I'd go Shellie's!! They have so much personality, can be put in 10 gallons and kids will love them

Sent via echolocation

I didn't think of that. There's already about 3" of turquoise gravel in it and it's already full of water and running, otherwise I would. The kids keep asking why the tank is empty. Watch one of them show up with 5 goldfish. Lol

I thought I'd post an update, in case anyone is curious about what I got. I decided to go with a goldfish. I could not get the temperature above 71 degrees, even with a heater. I have never owned a goldfish before and I think I'm in love. It's so stinking cute. We named him Carlos. Do you think I could have two in a 29g?

Back
Top Bottom