Clean Up Crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin1989

Aquarium Advice Activist
Aye so many questions I have asked. I am looking at clean up crews from Liveaquariua.com.

Saltwater Aquarium Inverts for Marine Reef Aquariums: Caribbean Reef Diversity Pack

That setup actually, I like the emerald crabs especially. Everything just adds a little more in my opinion :)

Anyways, my question is with an establishing aquarium (live rock is on its way, everything else is setup; lights will be here tomorrow) will they have enough to eat? Or will I need to supplement feedings?

I would wait even longer as the live rock will not create much waste either. You need to start feeding fish and have left over debris from feedings in order for a CUC to thrive and survive. Granted the algae from live rocks is nice for some but will not suffice.

Ok thank you, hence what I was wondering and glad i asked. Once I get the live rock in there and curing with a cycle finished, ill think about the first wish i will add. Thank you.

No problem. I also would not get a big clean up crew as there will not be enough for all of them and the will soon run out of things to clean up. Get a few here and there and slowly build as your aquarium matures.

I also thought about doing that, however of course the LFS is a ripoff when it comes to clean up crews. Any suggestions on what to add and how many; so forth?

Well i would say maybe some nasarius (spelling) snails or turbo ... I am going to get an emerald mithrax crab once possible. I am just starting a 75 everything is good to go water in sand my live rock gets here tomorrow I got 75 pounds of live rock.

peppermint shrimp help to control aptasia they dont eat it once larger however the prevent it from starting.

Yea I just started up the 55. Water filled, closed circuit running skimmer and all. LR should be shipping if not already on its way. I have a Nova Extreme Pro 48" with 3 10,000k lights and 3 actinics being shipped which should be here tomorrow. Can't wait. I only order 44lb's of Live rock for the moment, I will be adding more.

Unfortunately before reading some bad reviews I ordered it from Petco. Honestly i don't think it could be to bad. The rock came to $114, with next day shipping around $180. regular shipping would of been like $170.

This will determine whether they ever get my support again.

I got mine from a very reputable dealer in pennsylvania and it ships to me overnight for normal fees. I talk with him for hours about this hobby sometimes when I call. I have his personal phone. I paid $600 for 75 lbs. This rock is amazing though ill have pics up tomorrow im sure of my tank complete(without fish mind you). But this rock is off an island in vietnam and he put in some rock that he as in his tanks at the shop. All of the rock however is completely encrusted already with coralline algae. Im so pumped. Its expensive but worth it I did not want to skimp out. Buying this rock in my opinion is worth it. Check out www.Reefbuilder.tv this is where I got my live rock. His name is Gary. You can email Russ at reefbuilder.me.com I also ordered a couple other things. But they do podcasts I have learned from expert and novice alike. Check em out!!!

Wow; unfortunately thats kind of out of my price range lol. When I order the rest of my live rock (20lb's or so) I will up the quality of rock most likely. However can't see myself spending that much on Live Rock. Grats!

He has other rock you should check out. Call him and talk to him. Get ahold of Russ. I dont want to give out his number. You can work a deal more than likely. I paid 8 bucks a pound. Check out the podcasts!

Thats not to bad, the LFS here is $6 a lb for just Fiji. I'll get ahold of them. Might not be bad for the rest of my LR purchase.

Right see what I mean. This rock is 10x better not to knock your rocks... HAHA but this rock is beautiful not one looks the same and its all encrusted. Absolutely gorgeous. Ill post pics tomorrow afternoon/night. He is really one on one which you cant find anywhere else. Anyways, check out his podcasts if you can they are awesome very visual.

Yep will do. I will post the fish list i was looking at which I also posted on reefcentral.com

Just looking for opinions on which to add first.

"Flame Angelfish or Coral Beauty (I see these are not necessarily reef compatible, any help with these would be nice. Also reading they should be one of the last fish introduce)

Sailfin Algae Blenny (Quite interested in these, dunno why? Any blenny is honestly ok with me. Again anyone with experience with blennies of different sorts would be wonderful )

Saddleback Butterfly fish ( I also see these are iffy on reef compatibility)

Cardinals (tank bred)

Dusky jawfish

Ocellaris Clownfish (tank bred, also told these should be added near last, pair; these are almost a must due to me wanting to have a sort of anemone)

Firefish

Green/Spotted Mandarin (I have looked over some threads here seeing they require a mature tank; so of course near the end)

Sleeper banded goby

Six line Wrasse

I do not plan to get all of these fish, however these are fish i would not mind having. Looking on opinions, before I go and by one or two."

Another thing is phosphate reactors. Suggestions on using two of these, one for carbon and another for another type of chemical media?

Last edited:
Well I just put in my Live Rock and I also just installed my lights. I am quite pleased with what petco has shipped me for live rock. Maybe not the best, but I am by far pleased with it. Second; the lights are crazy bright! I could not believe how bright they were. I will post some pictures later.

Back
Top Bottom