Cleaner Shrimp and Peppermint Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know this is stupid. I did a impulse buy today a cleaner shrimp without checking if it is compatible with peppermint shrimps or not. I already had 2 peppermint shrimps in my tank will the new addition of a single cleaner shrimp pose any problem among them? I used to kept some feeder shrimps about 10 of them for 1 month they killed each other til I left with final larger one then I traded it for the peppermint shrimps.

I now know feeder shrimp kills each other, peppermint shrimps do not as I have had them for 2 months. Will this addition of a single cleaner shrimp a foreseeable problem?

Thanks for your help guys.

They should be ok together I have kept them together with out problem or incident HTH

Shouldn't be a problem, I agree. But nothing is 100% since agression is dependent upon the individual animal and not a species as a whole. I'd just keep an eye on them for a few days, but I don't forsee an issue either. Where are the pics? ;)

Should be just fine. I have three peppermints in my larger reef with two skunk cleaners

So, could I buy a peppermint to contorl my aiptasia problem? NICE!

The only reason I havent bought one yet was because I wanted a skunk cleaner or a blood red cleaner.

No to de-rail, but which in you guys opinion is a better shrimp, the skunk or blood red..I like the skunks because they are active and cool, but would the blood red act the same way?

Skunks are ok with peppermints in my experience. The bloodreds are absolutely beautiful. I want to get one of each next.

I have had skunks, fire and peps all together with no issues that I say.. They all had there own section of the tank

Tails, It is not 100% that the peps will eat the aptasia. If the aptasia is big they wil not eat them and there are severl kinds of peps and noe type will not eat them.
Get joes juice and nuke them, this will work better then a shrimp.

Ok, I love shrimp and have a ton of them. Right now, I have a coral banded and 2 blood shrimp. My mated pair of skunks passed away a few months ago, I had them for a couple of years. All were living together in a 100 gallon, no problems at all. Each had its own area of operation, but I do have 150+ pounds of LR in this tank.

Well, as far as behavior of shrimp, here is my 2 cents worth.

Coral banded - hide all day long, 10 seconds after you turn the lights out it will be all over the tank, you will see him every night.

Skunk cleaners - will always be within a spit second of hiding behind some rock, but will be out and about for the most part. They will even get used to your hand cleaning the inside of the tank and jump on it to pick skin off. Very good shrimp to keep - the best by far, for a bunch of reasons. You will see it, and it will (often) pick parasites off your fish. Not always though, they tend to prefer the food you put into the tank.

Perpermints and camel shrimp - when I kept these, they always just hid out in the rock and I never saw them, ever. I never even knew when they died.

Blood/fire shrimp. By far, the most awesome looking shrimp there is, but VERY shy. I have had two of these for almost a year now and I had to move them to my 24 gallon nano just to have a chance to see them every now and then. If they die, it will take a few days for you to find out more than likely.

Pistol - great nano shrimp. I say that because they can get 'lost' in a big tank with a lot of rock in it. You will never forget that SNAP in the middle of the night - don't put these in a room that you want to sleep in. VERY hardy shrimp, probably the toughest of the bunch. Also a night animal, if want to see him move arround, turn the lights out.

sexy shrimp - one of the coolest shrimp but so tiny most reef fish will eat him. I have a couple in with my fire shrimps in my 24 gallon nano. This shrimp is ALWAYS perched on some coral somewhere waving his butt in the air in plain view. If you have not seen this, go check it out. By far, the most 'not shy' shrimp I have ever kept, so long as you are not trying to net him, then he is gone.

Good luck with your shrimp

David

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom