Cleaning a tank with carpet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FallenAngel

Aquarium Advice Freak
Out of curiosity, how do you'll go about cleaning the tanks with a planted carpet? You don't use the vacuum I'm guessing, so do you only do water changes?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I always treated it like sand, hover just above the carpet to remove surface detritus

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That totally explains why I always suck up the sand... I don't hover, I just treat it like the gravel tanks I used to have, I was wondering why that was happening, thanks, that helps a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you SWIRL the tube about a 1/2 inch above the sand and carpet it will lift the debris off the sand without lifting the sand and suck it right up.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you SWIRL the tube about a 1/2 inch above the sand and carpet it will lift the debris off the sand without lifting the sand and suck it right up.

Depends on what plant was used to carpet, more delicate plants like HC can uproot easily, a lesson I learned the hard way :mad:

I use my glass scrapper as a fan and wave it back and forth above the substrate/ carpet plants, this fans up muck while not sucking plants up too. Once all the crap is suspended I siphon it right out..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Depends on what plant was used to carpet, more delicate plants like HC can uproot easily, a lesson I learned the hard way :mad:

Oops glad you corrected me on that.

Back
Top Bottom