Cleaning a Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lsmithers

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 5.5 gallon tank that I am going to turn into a planted tank. It has black sand, a few rocks, and a piece of driftwood. The problem is it sat for a few months with water in it and is gross. What is the best way to clean it out? Is it best to just throw everything inside away and start over with just the basic tank?

Yes, that's easier.

Maybe keep the drift wood to attach some
Plants to?

Choose a new substrate more suited for planted tank.

I have a 5.5 gallon tank that I am going to turn into a planted tank. It has black sand, a few rocks, and a piece of driftwood. The problem is it sat for a few months with water in it and is gross. What is the best way to clean it out? Is it best to just throw everything inside away and start over with just the basic tank?

Re boil the drift wood. Scrub the heck out of the rocks and you can wash the sand. As far as the tank itself, bleach, vinegar and a lot of elbow grease. No real need to start from scratch. If you want to and can afford it, then that's your choice.

just bleach everything but the sand, wash them really good, and allow them to dry (in the sun if possible). The sodium hydroxide in bleach, which is what cleans and kills everything, dissipates once fully dry and becomes harmless. Once dry you can fill the tank with everything in it and quadruple dose with some water conditioner and let soak for 48 hours to help remove any chlorine that might have stayed behind from the bleach.

if that sounds too complicated, then vinegar will also work but will take alot more scrubbing and cleaning to make sure any bacteria that grew from the stagnant water is gone.

the sand may be hard to clean, but you can always just boil it for a few hours to make sure its clean, that would be easiest.

Back
Top Bottom