Cleaning algae off the substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peterac

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

I have a layer of green algae on my substrate that I guess I let go too long. When I am syphoning the gravel the algae is sort of clumping up and not easily being removed. If I am planning on getting a clean up crew should I not worry about this?

Thanks,
Pete R.

Have you tested your water? Nitrates, phosphates, silicates? You need to find the cause of the algae. You have a 450 FOWLR 80 80 Nice!!! How about some pics of the tank and algae. Clean up crew might help some, snails, crabs
What type of water are you using..

seaham358 said:
Have you tested your water? Nitrates, phosphates, silicates? You need to find the cause of the algae. You have a 450 FOWLR 80 80 Nice!!! How about some pics of the tank and algae. Clean up crew might help some, snails, crabs
What type of water are you using..

Thanks! Ammonia and Nitrites are zero. Nitrates around 30 ppm. Phosphates should be pretty low but are not tested. I am using RO/DI water and keep the skimmer running 24/7.
The lighting is defintely contributing to the algae on the substrate. Shaded areas under the rock hardly have any algae.

I'll try to get some pics up soon.

Pete R.

I would not depend on the cleanup crew to do much, depending on the type of algae. Is the blenny eating any of it? If it isnt, I would shut the lights off and do water changes until you get the nitrates way down.

Yes definitely try and get the nitrates down. not sure for a fowlr but 30ppm for a reef tank is way high. you could always just remove the sand that the algae is on and replace it with new stuff but as long as your nitrates are that high it is just going to come back.

You could always try a few sand sifting cucumbers, sand sifting stars. Actually, your systen would benefit from them greatly. And about 200 nassarius snails should do it. 8O

Back
Top Bottom