Cleaning Filter and Other Cleaning Stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

REDCHEVYBLAZER

Aquarium Advice Regular
I need to clean my filter now, but I'm not sure whats the best (and safest) way to go about it. I know your supposed to clean them like monthly, but I've had this for 3 months and should likely clean it. I never cleaned my old one because someone else did it. Unfortunately I no longer live with that someone, so I'm gonna do this myself.

What is the best way to actually clean the filter? Does the heater need to be cleaned off as well? I also need to pull the plant and squirward house out and stir up the rocks.

Any and all help greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I assume you do weekly water changes and vacuum the gravel? Take some of the water you remove from the tank and swish your filter cartridge in it. Don't clean it in tap water with chlorine in it. If the heater looks gunky, you can scrub it with an algae scrubber pad from the fish store, or maybe a scouring pad. Good luck. Let us know if you need more help.

I assume you do weekly water changes and vacuum the gravel? Take some of the water you remove from the tank and swish your filter cartridge in it. Don't clean it in tap water with chlorine in it. Good luck. Let us know if you need more help.

The water in our house is chlorinated. It's on a water softener. Will this make a difference?

The water evaporates out and I usually fill back up probably a half a gallon weekly to 2 weeks. I don't vacuum the gravel, but I do stir up the rocks.

Ok, you should be actually vacuuming the gravel and removing old water at the same time, using a siphon/gravel vac from the fish store. This takes out the poop. Then you add water conditioner/dechlorinator to the tank. Then you add fresh water back in. This should be done weekly. This is called a partial water change, or PWC. You should change out 25-50% of the water every week. When you add dechlorinator, you should add the dosage for the full volume of the tank.

I always thought stirring up the rocks helped get rid of excess food and poop. I didn't think all, but at least enough of it. I stir up the rocks 3-4 times a week.

I've never actually gotten rid of old water, but I do add new water all the time. Should I still take out old water? My water is naturally dechlorinated, but should I still add a dechlorinater?

I do have (1) Pleco in my tank. Will cleaning it more often require me to feed him more often then I do? I usually drop part of an algae wafer in every other day (after i do what I thought was cleaning and what not lol) for it just in case it has eaten enough. My tank accumulates algae fairly quickly, but this guy just eats it quicker than it shows.

I've never used a dechlorinator in the 3 months my tank has been set up (except the initial set up) and I actually got the water tested the other day at Petsmart and they said my water was already fine in that aspect. About as near perfect as it gets. I did move my tank and started over the water, but most fish died in the bags that died. I actually have 2 fish that have been in there since day 1. Both are very healthy. One's a guppy and another a platy. I had a few Pleco's die on me in the past and wanted to know why. They told me to drop in algae wafers and low and behold, its surviving now. lol.

I don't think you'll have to feed him more because he doesn't eat the dirt that you would be getting rid of anyway so it shouldn't really affect him. But I'm not an expert so if anyone else can back me up it might be good lol!

ave you had a look on places like YouTube for guides on how to do your cleaning? I always find something helpful on there when I'm not sure what I'm doing :)

Back
Top Bottom