cleaning inside tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank that is currently cycling has no life inside it. After dumping all the sand and having it settle, some of the sand is on the inside glass.

Is it safe to stick my hand with papertowel inside the tank and wipe the inside glass?

do you have an algae scraper or a magnet cleaner? they would probably work.

mine is a bowfront so a magnet would not work, can a rag be used? I just needs to be wiped on all sides.

will scrubbing the sand against glass sracth the glass?

if you get a small enough magnet it should work fine. they also have round magnets special for curved glass. as long as the sand doesn't get trapped between the glass and the magnet it won't scrape. i wouldn't use a rag, especially if it's been washed with detergents. it could also have harmful dye in it. just pick up a cheap algae scraper if you really don't want to do the magnet. you will probably need one at some point anyway.
example>> Lee's Scrubber Pad & Algae Scraper for Glass Aquariums at PETCO

If it's just sand, reach in and brush it off. Don't wipe or you may scratch the glass.

It just seems like it makes more sense to wipe the sand stuck on the glass with a paper towel, because the magnet can scratch the glass. the sand is all-around my glass.

why is a paper-towel harmful to the water?

If it's just sand, reach in and brush it off. Don't wipe or you may scratch the glass.

Elapsed time required- 30 seconds
Thread on what NOT to use- endless

;)

Elapsed time required- 30 seconds
Thread on what NOT to use- endless

;)

:lol:

Agree with HN1... just reach in and brush it off! And you're correct - I wouldn't use a mag cleaner for sand because it will scratch the living heck out of the glass. I think Austinsdad and myself were just saying that magnet cleaners WILL work on a bowfront.

as long as there is no sand pinched between the magnet and the glass, i don't see it hurting much, because the sand would just be brushed away by the magnet sweeping across the glass. then again, i have pfs, not actual sand like for SW, so i could be wrong.

yea, don't trust papertowels, never know what they've been 'processed' with or whatever. if you're reaching in there, you might as well just use your hand as HN1 said.

Back
Top Bottom