Cleaning Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talvari

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have spent the better part of my day today rinsing and re-rinsing my black super naturals sand. I had to rinse through two 20 pound bags of it.

The first thing I tried was the 5 gallon bucket (actually, garbage can, but whatever). In my tub (because I live in an apartment) I rinsed, and dumped, rinsed, and dumped... It took just about two hours for the water to run clear and for me to rinse a few extra times.

On the second bag... I dumped it into a freshly scrubbed, cleaned, and rinsed 20 gallon clear plastic tote from walmart.... It only took me an hour. Im not sure if it was just that bag was cleaner, or if having it in the larger tote helped. I think it might be the latter. I had much more surface area open to the water, and I didnt have to dig as deep to stir up the bottom.

But, YAY! My sand is clean! Now I just have to wait until Wednesday for me to overhaul the tank...Boo!

Haha.. they are, but they are also alot softer then they were before I started. My nails are chipped to heck, too. But oh well... I can't wait to put it in my tank! Its going to look so much nicer!

:lol: yes the fun of setting up a new aquarium.but so exciting:) I once did six bags of gravel for one of my tanks,six footer with a U/G,took for ever but well worth it in the end,now don't use U/Gs so use much less gravel:dance: What kind of set up are you setting up?:fish2::fish2:

Back
Top Bottom