Cleaning your kit in a planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jondamon

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey folks.

For those of you that don't know me or my tank here it is.

image-3726935735.jpg

50g community moderately planted. Currently I'm not running any Co2 but I do have a Co2 system just needs refilling. I also use EASYLIFE PROFITO and EASYLIFE POTASSIUM ferts.

I have been experiencing some algae, mainly staghorn and hair. With a little research this seems to mainly be down to tank maintenance more specifically filter maintenance.

So today I have spent around 2hours breaking down my tank equipment and cleaning it all.

Normally I wash everything in old tank water as I'm taking it out during PWC's.

Today however I have cleaned everything in fresh water which was treated with prime.

I broke down my internal fluval U2 filter and cleaned all the media in the prime'd water, along with cleaning the plastic housing for the filter.

I then renewed the prime treated water with more treated water and began cleaning my fluval 206 canister. I removed the sponges first and rinsed them in the treated water, followed by all the cartridges with my bio-filtration and polishing pad. I then rinsed the canister compartment in plain old tap water which was hot and scrubbed the inside of the canister. After rinsing the main canister compartment I then filled it with tap water and added a few drops of prime to treat the water in the canister compartment. I then added all the sponges and cartridges back into the canister and hooked it back up.

I have also cleaned my koralia powerhead in the same way and also broken down the intake and outtake tubing and scrubbed them clean.

I am hoping this won't affect the BB to much but I'm prepared for any problems should they arise.

My current parameters are

image-833864625.jpg

image-486421434.jpg

image-592057940.jpg

pH 7.4
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5-10ppm
Phosphates 1ppm

I use Sera phosvec in my filter to help reduce the phosphates in my tap water which is 2ppm. Normally phosphates sit around 0.25-0.5ppm.

Now I understand this is quite a lengthy post but I was just wondering what other planted tank people do with tank/filter maintenance. Vacuuming the substrate is quite difficult when you have a lot of plants/decor so I also have some Amano shrimp in my tank to help with Algae and Ditritus.

I have been contemplating doing more frequent smaller PWC's and filter cleans rather than weekly 50% to see whether this works or not.

Tank has been setup since late February.

Thanks for reading. Any comments insights or suggestions just fire away.

Jon

Sounds good. As long as filter's bio-media stayed wet and never touched untreated water you should be fine. As far as vacuuming the gravel in a planted tank, just get where you can with out disturbing your plants too much.

blert said:
Sounds good. As long as filter's bio-media stayed wet and never touched untreated water you should be fine. As far as vacuuming the gravel in a planted tank, just get where you can with out disturbing your plants too much.

This is what I've been doing. The only thing I hadn't really done before was a FULL strip down and clean of both filters. Each filter would get its media swished in old tank water a few times to remove debris etc but I've never tried doing a full clean with fresh treated water as opposed to old tank water.

Normally my canister filter gets stripped down once a month and cleaned with old water.

I think I may increase the canister cleaning to weekly rather than monthly and if all tests are ok this week I will continue using treated fresh water to clean my equipment.

Thanks again and if there is any more input please feel free.

I will keep updating this thread for a few days to see whether there are any negative impacts from cleaning with fresh treated water.

Jon

Don't forget those canister hoses and the impeller, both can build up a lot of gunk.

blert said:
Don't forget those canister hoses and the impeller, both can build up a lot of gunk.

Thanks but I do know also about cleaning them.

I should have mentioned that I stripped the impeller and housing down and cleaned them too today in the same manner.

The only thing I haven't done yet are the hoses. They will be done during August which will be 6months that the tank has been setup.

In the cleaning routine booklet which came with the tank it says that hoses need cleaning once every twelve months so I figured every 6 months should be ok.

Jon

I clean all of my canisters in plain untreated tap water. I then fill it back up and add some prime before hooking it back up to the tank.

Never had an issue doing this way. I would never use old tank water. What a PITA that would be.

I just open the canister on the counter and pull out ever compartment and then clean em right in the sink.

rkilling1 said:
I clean all of my canisters in plain untreated tap water. I then fill it back up and add some prime before hooking it back up to the tank.

Never had an issue doing this way. I would never use old tank water. What a PITA that would be.

I just open the canister on the counter and pull out ever compartment and then clean em right in the sink.

You do realise that chlorine/chloramine kills beneficial bacteria that you're trying to keep within your filters media?

Or do you mean you clean the canisters main compartment minus all the cartridges and media?

Jon

You do realise that chlorine/chloramine kills beneficial bacteria that you're trying to keep within your filters media?

Or do you mean you clean the canisters main compartment minus all the cartridges and media?

Jon

I clean the whole thing in tap water treated with chloramine. Then I let the bio media sit there on the counter top until I get the rest of the filter clean. I also replace all the fine filter media everytime as well.

rkilling1 said:
I clean the whole thing in tap water treated with chloramine. Then I let the bio media sit there on the counter top until I get the rest of the filter clean. I also replace all the fine filter media everytime as well.

So you clean the bio media in tap water too?

Or am I misunderstanding you?

Jon

So you clean the bio media in tap water too?

Or am I misunderstanding you?

Jon

I clean every piece of the filter in the kitchen sink. I rinse the bio media in raw tap water to clean out any debris. Then put it all back together, add some prime, and then hook it back up to the tank.

rkilling1 said:
I clean every piece of the filter in the kitchen sink. I rinse the bio media in raw tap water to clean out any debris. Then put it all back together, add some prime, and then hook it back up to the tank.

How does this not cause you to loose your colony of bacteria?

Do you test your water parameters to see whether it has had a negative impact in your tank.

The Nitrifying bacteria is supposed to be sensitive to chlorine etc.

This just doesn't make sense to me at all. It goes against all research I've done about nitrifying bacteria.

Jon

How does this not cause you to loose your colony of bacteria?

Do you test your water parameters to see whether it has had a negative impact in your tank.

The Nitrifying bacteria is supposed to be sensitive to chlorine etc.

This just doesn't make sense to me at all. It goes against all research I've done about nitrifying bacteria.

Jon

What you are not considering is how a planted tank works. The plants, as well as the BB that are covering the plants, remove/convert the nutrients in the water column. I doubt there is a large number of BB in the filter to begin with. Most of the nutrients needed to grow the BB in the filter will have been consumed prior to reaching the filter. IE no food, no BB.

Then add in all the algae spores that are also on the plants and you shouldn't see any NH3/NH4 in the filter housing. Most planted tanks do not need/require any additional bio media. The only thing planted tanks need is mechanical filtration and water flow.

rkilling1 said:
What you are not considering is how a planted tank works. The plants, as well as the BB that are covering the plants, remove/convert the nutrients in the water column. I doubt there is a large number of BB in the filter to begin with. Most of the nutrients needed to grow the BB in the filter will have been consumed prior to reaching the filter. IE no food, no BB.

Then add in all the algae spores that are also on the plants and you shouldn't see any NH3/NH4 in the filter housing. Most planted tanks do not need/require any additional bio media. The only thing planted tanks need is mechanical filtration and water flow.

Thanks for explaining your take on it.

I understand completely that the plants also act as filtration, that's the main reason I wanted a planted tank but from what you're saying the only thing my filter needs to do is trap debris.

I don't think that I would want to try the way you do it seeing as I'm still fairly new at this lol.

I have seen a tank that has some Japanese plant? growing out of the top of the tank and this completely filters the tank water no need for filtration but it seems too OUT THERE for me. Lol.

Thanks for your input though.

Jon

Thanks for explaining your take on it.

That's not my take on it. That's how it works.

I just ran a quick search and grabbed this from APC:

My advice would be to first remove 1/2 of the bio-media and see what happens. At some point, you may be able to remove all of it if you want.

Factors to consider:
  • plants are plentiful and growing
  • the substrate contains mulm/soil/organic matter (some of this gunk will actually contain nitrifying bacteria)
  • tank isn't grossly overloaded with fish
  • you maintain some water circulation
Official "Bio-filtration" (via a filter) seems irrelevant in a planted aquarium. Removing the filtration media may stimulate plant growth somewhat and help in reducing nitrate levels. The proof is in the pudding!

The dwalstad would be Diana Walstad.

That bottom sentence pretty much sums up what I have been saying.

I do a similar routine to rkilling1. When I clean my filters I nuke with tap water or replace everything (filter pads, sponges, floss, etc...) except my bio-media (in my case ceramic rings). This way the majority of the bacterial colonies reside on my bio-media and inside the tanks. I can replace any amount of floss, sponges, pads, or whatever and have zero effect on my tanks. Do I suggest this to folks? Nope, sure don't, if you want to do it go for it but it would be best to have a well established tank.
The last tank I cycled didn't even have any media in the filter during, I just ran the filter empty. If I was to change that tank's substrate I am willing to bet all hell would break loose.

blert said:
I do a similar routine to rkilling1. When I clean my filters I nuke with tap water or replace everything (filter pads, sponges, floss, etc...) except my bio-media (in my case ceramic rings). This way the majority of the bacterial colonies reside on my bio-media and inside the tanks. I can replace any amount of floss, sponges, pads, or whatever and have zero effect on my tanks. Do I suggest this to folks? Nope, sure don't, if you want to do it go for it but it would be best to have a well established tank.
The last tank I cycled didn't even have any media in the filter during, I just ran the filter empty. If I was to change that tank's substrate I am willing to bet all hell would break loose.

My entire filter is pretty much bio media. In all 3 compartments I have ceramic rings.

My canister is split into 2 halves.

First half has a plastic insert that contains 4 sponges, 2 in the front section 2 in the back section.

Then the second half of the canister contains 3 baskets.

Bottom basket has a sponge along with ceramic rings

Middle basket all ceramic rings

Top basket filter floss pad along with more ceramic rings and a small bag of sera phosvec to help control the high phosphates in my tap water.

Do you think I could change anything?

From what you are both saying I could quite happily rinse all my sponges in raw tap water.

Rkilling - you are saying I could also rinse my ceramic rings in raw tap too.

Blert - you are saying you don't rinse your ceramics in raw tap.

Jon

I was also had the same belief as you, in regards to the substrate, but I have replaced my entire substrate numerous times now without having any issues.

Back in 2007, I decided to see how well the plants and BB really do in my tank, so I changed the substrate (needed to anyways) and put a new filter on at the SAME time. No used media was put into the filter. I never had an issue.

I would have to think that it is partly how I maintain my tanks. Since I routinely clean/kill off any BB in my filter, my tank has built up enough in the tank itself to combat any harm I was doing.

They only time I have had issues is when I cut out to many plants. I removed about half of my plants back in 2006 and I had green water the next day.

My entire filter is pretty much bio media. In all 3 compartments I have ceramic rings.

My canister is split into 2 halves.

First half has a plastic insert that contains 4 sponges, 2 in the front section 2 in the back section.

Then the second half of the canister contains 3 baskets.

Bottom basket has a sponge along with ceramic rings

Middle basket all ceramic rings

Top basket filter floss pad along with more ceramic rings and a small bag of sera phosvec to help control the high phosphates in my tap water.

Do you think I could change anything?

From what you are both saying I could quite happily rinse all my sponges in raw tap water.

Rkilling - you are saying I could also rinse my ceramic rings in raw tap too.

Jon

In a well established planted tank (read - my plants are happy and grow fast), you do not need to have any additional bio media.

I would say you could easily get rid of half of your biomedia and replace it with more mechanical media.

I keep one compartment in my filter as biomedia in case I have to setup a QT or start another tank.

And of coarse: if it isn't broken, don't fix it. I was simply saying, as a planted aquarium guy, we over do it with regards to biomedia. To many people think they are going to end the world if they don't clean their filter correctly. That just isn't the case with a well planted aquarium.

I also keep several types of shrimp in my tanks. Some go for 10 bucks a piece. I do this same routine with those filters as well.

The only thing I was really trying to say is: Don't worry, clean the filter how every you want to.

rkilling1 said:
In a well established planted tank (read - my plants are happy and grow fast), you do not need to have any additional bio media.

I would say you could easily get rid of half of you biomedia and replace it with more mechanical media.

I keep one compartment in my filter as biomedia in case I have to setup a QT or start another tank.

And of coarse: if it isn't broken, don't fix it. I was simply saying, as a planted aquarium guy, we over do it with regards to biomedia. To many people think they are going to end the world if they don't clean their filter correctly. That just isn't the case with a well planted aquarium.

I also keep several types of shrimp in my tanks. Some go for 10 bucks a piece. I do this same routine with those filters as well.

The only thing I was really trying to say is: Don't worry, clean the filter how every you want to.

The main reason I started this was to get others opinions/ routines as to filter maintenance. Also to document whether my maintenance now helps reduce hair and staghorn algae. I also understand that zero algae in a planted tank is unheard of or bad.

I really thank you for opening my eyes to this side of a planted tank. I doubt I would ever completely get rid of my bio media but I may opt to halve it and replace with something mechanical ie more sponge or floss etc.

My tank is still fairly new and not what I would call well established. I'm still grasping ferts vs lights vs Co2 lol.

But once again I thank you for giving me some more reading to do.

Jon

jondamon said:
Correct, I do not rinse my bio-media in untreated water. Everything else gets a good nuking or replaced.

rkilling1 said:
I was also had the same belief as you, in regards to the substrate, but I have replaced my entire substrate numerous times now without having any issues.

Back in 2007, I decided to see how well the plants and BB really do in my tank, so I changed the substrate (needed to anyways) and put a new filter on at the SAME time. No used media was put into the filter. I never had an issue.

I would have to think that it is partly how I maintain my tanks. Since I routinely clean/kill off any BB in my filter, my tank has built up enough in the tank itself to combat any harm I was doing.

They only time I have had issues is when I cut out to many plants. I removed about half of my plants back in 2006 and I had green water the next day.
In this particular tank changing the substrate would likely have a devastating effect. It is a plant grow out tank, nothing in it is permanent. It might be a rain forest one day, then I may call in the logging companies. After that it looks more like a city park. Plus it houses two Goldfish. The substrate stays really clean though what with all the uprooting and replanting I do to it when it's time to sell to my LFS.

Back
Top Bottom