clicking sound - help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tumblewed

Aquarium Advice Activist
About the last couple month iv'e had a new pice of live rock in my tank.i have been hearing alot of ticking im not sure it is a pistol shrimp. i have only seen it once and all it looked like was a white shrimp with a large claw. i currently have 5 wild crabs, a tomato clown, wild snail , wild plants , and a hich hicker coral. if all goes well and its not a mantis im going to get a goby to try to make them host.

mantis can come in white, maybe. if it is, oh dear lol
cameroon armoured shrimp also maybe but unlikely, and may not make that noise.
pistol shrimps dont seem to commonly come in white, but dont rule them out. they arent as bad as mantis!
as far as i know a crystal white or similar wont make that noticable clicking, what shrimp do you most think it is?

when i did see it, it did have 1 large claw and it was small it clicks when something goes near the rock so im assuming it was a pistol. if it was a mantis it would deffend its hole because its not a blind.

Have you compared it to pictures of mantis vs. pistols? I admit, it sounds alot like my Randal's Pistol Shrimp, but without the bright red. (My randals is Red and white... at least I remember it being red and white when I saw it last, heh).

Mantis's look pretty weird in general, compared to "most" shrimp you see running around LFS. I'd personally wager it's a pistol. Some people don't like them, but ours is pretty mellow. Okay, he occasionally blasts a hermit crab that gets to close to him, but none of the crabs have been seriously injured from the experience... heh. Some of the bigger ones can become problems though. (Randal's pistol shrimp like ours are among the smallest I think). He comes out at night so you may go looking for him after lights have been out for a while, just to make sure.

its not the crabs im worried about its the shrimp. the crabs just ate a spider crab juvinial.

To be fair, if it's a pistol OR a mantis, you're going to have to worry about it possibly picking off other shrimp. That being said, I've got a peppermint shrimp in there with mine, and have been for well over six weeks. not a problem (Though to be fair, the Peppermint is way bigger than the pistol). You may just have to keep an eye on it, and if you are worried about it being a problem, try to catch it. If nothing else, your LFS might trade you for a pistol or mantis shrimp you don't want.

Me, I'd wait and see if it turned out to be a problem, but that can get expensive so I understand why you might not want to.

the poping in the tank is now geting louder and it is a single pop do u think its still a pistol.

We have a ghost pistol shrimp that looks extremely weird. Like a mix between a mantis shrimp and a scorpion. Extremely strange and can get big. Maybe it's one of them.

From what you saw, it sounds like a pistol shrimp... But that popping noise would probably be a mantis hmmmm that's wierd

From your description, it's definitely a pistol. They one large claw is the give away. That's their sonic solar flare cannon.

Back
Top Bottom