Cloudy eyes do to left over food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustinCase

Aquarium Advice Activist
My convict and firemouth live in a 120 gal with gar and the cichlids started to get cloudy eyes could it be because of left over food that sometimes sticks to the filter for days? I feed my Florida Gar cut pieces of raw shrimp from the grocery store and some frozen lil fishes from petsmart (cant remember the name, silver something). But its only because they wont eat anything else..

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My convict and firemouth live in a 120 gal with gar and the cichlids started to get cloudy eyes could it be because of left over food that sometimes sticks to the filter for days? I feed my Florida Gar cut pieces of raw shrimp from the grocery store and some frozen lil fishes from petsmart (cant remember the name, silver something). But its only because they wont eat anything else..

I'm going to try and not be too tough on you. Left over food?!!!! For days?!!!!
This is asking for trouble.

How is your maintenance...
Water changes?
How much water and how often?
Filter cleanings?

If you are feeding shrimp and fish pieces you need to remove leftovers within about an hour or atleast the following morning.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm curious to see how this thread progresses. What are your water levels.

Change about 25 % a week... I leave it because the gar have trouble eating it off the floor so they just try and try to eat it and it could take days for them to catch it.. they are just bad at using their mouths.. I only say left overs because they leave it for an hour and try to eat it and leave it and try again.. im not over feeding or anything...

Im one that tends to be a clean, fresh water freak, meaning frequent water changes. I also believe a lot of problems in the fish tank are caused by poor water quality. Sounds like you have big eaters in your tank, I would say do the 25% water change but more like 2-3 times a week, especially for the next couple of weeks and see how that works

Back
Top Bottom