Cloudy tank please help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave88

Aquarium Advice Activist
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404942688.131648.jpg
I've had my 190l trigon going since February now.
All was well till 2 weeks ago when the water became really cloudy and green water.
I done a 70% water change instead of the usual 20% and that didn't solve it it just went cloudy in a day.
I then stripped and cut back the plants incase it was them causing this issue.
I bought a second filter so it's now got 2x 190l filters running for the one tank.
Today I came home and I couldn't even see 10cm into the tank which is the worst I've seen it so far.
All the nitrites, nitrates and ammonia levels are in good order using the master test kit.

Any ideas cos I'm lost??????

I've also changed over filter sponges and bits to just incase.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

from the photo, it seems the tank is very lightly stocked. In order to have green water, which in itself is harmless, you need an excess of nutrients and light. If the water is a milky cloudiness, you have a bacteria bloom, again from excess nutrients, which will probably clear itself in a day or two since you did the large water change. No reason why you can't do another large change.
Stripping back the plants would in no way help the situation, unless you had a lot of dead plant material in the tank, that was rotting. Live plants would only help the situation.

Cloudy Tank Water

Hello Dave...

The hazy water is likely because the bottom material wasn't rinsed well enough, but it never is, so you get small particles floating in the water. To get clean water you need to have a stable water chemistry and good filtration media.

Set up a routine of keeping the water chemistry stable with frequent, large water changes. Change half the water and change it every couple of weeks. Use a good poly fiber medium like the products from Acurel or HBH. They make a cut to fit pad that will fit in most filtration equipment. It will attract and hold the small particles that make the water cloudy.

Give the routine a little time to work and in a few weeks, you'll have a nice, clear tank.

B

Will do thanks for ur responses.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom