Cloudy tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ibennett1031

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I cycled my tank for 6 weeks and introduced the new fish to their home. I noticed that two days in and the tank is cloudy towards the top half. I have a 6" bubble bar, and log

I cycled my tank for 6 weeks and introduced the new fish to their home. I noticed that two days in and the tank is cloudy towards the top half. I have a 6" bubble bar, and log
Hi jbennett1031:

What are your current water parameters? Is the cloudiness largely greyish-white, or does it seem green?

I'm not sure I'm a very new tank owner wife got it and then kinda handed it off to me. IMG_0013.JPG

I'm not sure I'm a very new tank owner wife got it and then kinda handed it off to me. View attachment 295566
Understood. One possibility is that it is a bacterial bloom (especially if, in natural light, it seems grayish-white). Without knowing your water parameters it's impossible to know, although since the tank has only been going for six weeks it may not be fully cycled.

Another possibility is an algae bloom, which would look more greenish in color in natural light. Algae blooms can happen if there is an excessive amount of organic matter, light, and phosphate in the water.

At a minimum, I'd suggest you get a test kit so that you can determine the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph of your water. Knowing those numbers will help you figure out why the cloudiness is happening and what steps you might take.

Also, you need to know if ammonia and nitrite are present in the water, since even small amounts are toxic to fish.

For now, a partial water change might be a good idea until you can measure the water parameters and start looking for a root cause of the cloudiness.

Back
Top Bottom